Friday, October 2, 2020

Tea plantations, the old and the new

 

I'm so glad a blog reader taught me how to look at those old stereographic images on the Library of Congress website so that I began to see them in 3D. This week, I came across this old image of a tea plantation in Japan, and I'm amazed at how the hills seem to come alive. Are you able to stare at these until you see them in 3D? If not, here's an article that explains the technique. Once you learn how to "see" them, it's like having a built-in View-Master available at all times. 


Here's an enlarged image of one panel.


Tea plantations were on my mind for quite another reason this week when I came across a new china pattern, Gardens of Lyra by Paul Scott, on the Fortnum & Mason website. "Designed exclusively for Fortnum & Mason, Gardens of Lyra takes inspiration from tea plantations around the world and their surrounding landscapes." (Click here to see a detailed view of the plate.) The only tea plantation I've had the pleasure of visiting so far is the one in Charleston, South Carolina, but I've sure enjoyed seeing the ones in Japan and on these tea wares in the UK!


4 comments:

  1. I'm a sucker for blue and white anyway, so I enjoyed seeing that "Gardens of Lyra" china. I hope to visit the tea plantation in Charleston one of these days. Meanwhile, I'll visit tea plantations in pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very nice photo of the tea-picking ladies in Japan. (But I still can't see it in 3-D, in spite of reading the article.) That "Gardens of Lyra" pattern works particularly well on the mug, with the tall trees making a nice vertical design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice photo. Did you see the Charleston plantation now has an online store?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love seeing the Japanese picture from the tea plantation. How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!