Friday, September 4, 2020

An image that's "Strictly confidential"

My latest find from the Library of Congress is a 1908 image titled "Strictly confidential." All three headings on the image hit rather close to home: "Women. Older people. Tea." I also note with interest that the category designation on the original folder said simply "Girls." Hmm. I'm pondering that.

I'm also pondering who these ladies were and what their relationship to each other was. Their physical closeness hints at emotional closeness, so I'm guessing sisters (the one on the left being the oldest), friends, or neighbors.

And then, of course, there's the teacup (gold-trimmed porcelain?), the teapot (looks like old ceramic), and the cake, which looks like some sort of steamed pudding. Do you love spotting the tea in old artwork as much as I do? What's your theory on who these ladies were?

4 comments:

  1. I would guess sisters, although they could just as easily be friends, cousins, sisters-in-law...who knows? I like the "girls" label, though! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing mother and daughter for the two ladies, although sisters is a possibility (my oldest and youngest sisters were born 14 years apart, so that could account for the age difference in this painting). I think the two women do look alike, so I think they're related. Yes, I do love to find tea things (especially samovars) in paintings! I have copies of two paintings hanging in my apartment that show 19th-century Russian families having tea around their samovar. I love to go to art museums and find tea scenes. So thank you for showing us so many interesting ones in your blog, Angela!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m guessing sister who are sharing a secret

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would guess sisters too.
    It is so fun to find these old pictures with a tea theme. I always look when I go to the antique mall.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!