Friday, July 3, 2020

What I'll be reading this weekend …

So what's everybody doing for the Fourth this year? I've never liked crowds, and except for the years when I was a newspaper reporter and was on assignment that weekend, I've seldom gone where the masses are on July Fourth. So this year, in the time of COVID-19 concerns, I'm content to plan just a quiet weekend at home with some crafting and reading. And my reading list includes the new issue of Tea Time magazine, which I was fortunate to find at the grocery store the other day. The Coalport Ming Rose tea wares on the cover are perfect for summertime.

I always enjoy seeing the pretty foods they feature, and what immediately caught my eye this time was the Custard Cream Cookies made with an embossed rolling pin. Fellow Tea Time readers, did you notice those too? I've been seeing those pretty embossed rolling pins in the baking catalogs, but I've never ordered one. I'd love to hear from any of you who might have attempted to use one!

And since few people seem to be traveling outside the US right now, how very fitting that this new issue is the annual British issue. I always love seeing what's going on in tearooms across the pond, and oh, how I enjoy reading these articles. This lovely place is the Great John Street Hotel in Manchester.

And what about Sketch in London? The pink velvet seating here is absolutely swoon worthy. (And doesn't it remind you of ladyfingers just a bit?)

And on this side of the pond, however you observe the holiday, I wish you all a safe and Happy Fourth of July!

7 comments:

  1. I'll be staying home, too, hoping to get some scrapbooking done tomorrow. A safe and happy 4th to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always stay at home on July 4th, too, and have a lot more reason to avoid crowds this year. Plus, it's always so hot outside that I want to stay inside in the air-conditioning. It's 99 degrees as I write this in mid-afternoon. I can always hear the fireworks from the National Mall when they go off, and that's enough for me. My Tea Time magazine hasn't arrived yet--I hope it comes today so I'll be able to enjoy it over the weekend. I've never used an embossed rolling pin, but have always been tempted by the carved wooden springerli rolling pins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will be staying home. We received our Tea time magazine quite awhile ago. It is lovely. Enjoy. Congratulations to Victorian Girl.
    HAPPY 4th Of July
    Joan,Marion and Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Puttering outside amongst my flowers this weekend, then on Sunday to my daughter's for dinner (bringing the red (cherry) white (crust) and blue (blueberry) pie for dessert. I lingered over those same cookies! I thought purchasing that rolling pin might be a good gift to myself. Need to practice using it before the County Fair next year!...alas that and the State fair were cancelled this year. Well, silver lining, it will give me time to practice! Enjoy your long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We will be staying home tomorrow too. I have seen those rolling pins but never tried them. Is that the cookies called Springerle?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for pointing out the embossed cookies. I hadn't really noticed them. I had noticed the pink seating and yes "swoon worthy". I noticed the cake above the cookies because that is what I gravitate too. Now I need to sit down and look again at what I might have missed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Angela,

    Staying home is key to safety, so that's what we do. In fact being a high risker I haven't left the house in almost 5 months. Tea Time magazine (my dear friend Marina gifted our tea society gals with a year of it for an amazingly generous Christmas gift) has been good reading! Whew, sorry run-on sentence there!

    It's a bit ironic - but on Friday we could see fireworks from our back deck, and on the 4th we could watch them from the cool comfort of our home office! And assorted neighbors with the random ones - it was very easy to watch the fireworks this year. And I especially loved not being eaten alive by these mutant killah mosquitos. I hate those little buggers!

    I love the way those springerle cookies look! I have had a few of them on assorted gift hint ideas for years, but alas have never had one nor made them. It is on my list though, and shall remain so! Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!