Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Tea, lace, and inspiration

A trip to the grocery store continues to be one of the retail highlights of my week, so I am very thankful for the magazine selection at Ingles and Kroger these days. Last week, Kroger turned up a new issue of the The Cottage Journal titled Vintage Cottage, and as soon as I flipped through it, I knew I had to have this issue.

I was quite charmed by this feature on vintage children's pieces like china and bronzed baby shoes. I have some bronzed baby shoes that were mine when I was a baby, but mine are attached to a photo display stand. One day, I'll come across something unique to do with them!

What I really loved in this issue, though, was these gorgeous photos of a vintage sewing machine and vintage lace. Something about lace just speaks to me. I have a lace-collector friend here in Newnan (I'm talking *serious* lace collector), and I am most fortunate that she has been kind enough to let me play in her lace sometimes.

In case you can't read it, this quote from Coco Chanel seemed worth sharing: "I consider lace to be one of the prettiest imitations ever made of the fantasy of nature." I so agree! I see lace in spider webs, Queen Anne's lace, a dandelion, and much more. And does that pretty floral teacup at left catch your eye? It certainly did mine. I don't believe I've ever bought an issue of the Cottage Journal before, but I'm sure glad I came across this one. Do you like lace too? Any lace stories you can share?


5 comments:

  1. I love lace. Not sure I have any lace stories, but I do have an appreciation for it, and this looks like a lovely magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like lace, but I don't know much about it. I particularly like it on table linens and as curtains. A few years ago I was chosen to be the maid of honor at my friend Carol's wedding. After much searching, we found a beautiful and not-too-expensive wedding dress for her, but not a veil. So I volunteered to make her veil (although I had never made one before). She bought some VERY expensive Alencon lace from France for it. I was quite nervous in working with it, since it cost so much, but it turned out quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who can resist lace? So beautiful. Donna z

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so concentrating on groceries I haven't browsed the magazine at my Kroger's (Fred Meyer's). Must remedy that the next time I go. This looks like a magazine I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!