Monday, June 15, 2020

Experiments in (teapot) cookie cutting


I believe I've mentioned before that I am working on a cookbook featuring vintage Christmas recipes, and this weekend, that involved testing a peppermint pie recipe and a sugar cookie recipe. Both of them turned out great, hallelujah, and after I made sugar cookies in Christmas shapes, I remembered that I wanted to use this teapot-shaped cookie cutter I had tried, unsuccessfully, before, so I used some of the leftover dough for that. See that handle on the cookie cutter? I wanted to cut out the interior of it.

But if I pressed too hard, I ended up with what amounted to teapot puzzle pieces, and the handle broke completely off, so I ended up leaving that piece intact.

This cookie's handle had the most pronounced interior, and I thought maybe I could cut it out once the cookie baked, but of course it all baked together. When I got through with all the other cookies, I was still puzzled about this teapot cookie cutter, and I couldn't honestly remember ever having seen sugar cookies with the interior of the handle cut out. So, I found a website that showed this particular style of cutter, and lo and behold, the interior isn't supposed to be cut out. Who knew? I didn't want to decorate these particular cookies, but at least now I know what to do the next time I do.

And if you happen to be on Pinterest, feel free to check out my board titled Cute Sugar Cookies. Heavy on the roses, lace, and tea wares, these are some of the gorgeous cookies I aspire to bake and decorate as my skills improve!





9 comments:

  1. That's a cute teapot cookie, with its little legs! That's good that you found that the interior of the handles is not supposed to be cut out--one less thing to worry about! I did just follow your "Cute Sugar Cookies" board on Pinterest--those are some really beautiful cookies. You can check out my own Pinterest board "my Russian tea-time"--it's mostly paintings and photos with samovars and Russian china, but also some pretty cookies as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! I'm now following that board too. I may have found a new obsession, ha!

      Delete
  2. Cute cookie cutter. The inside of the handle looks like a fish, smiling! What fun you are having. Your cookbook project sounds fascinating. Some of the recipes now sound so unhealthy, but so good. I have made the same sugar cookie recipe my entire marriage, humm? does that make it vintage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say "classic," Marilyn — like you! :)

      Delete
  3. Cute cookie cutter. Glad you figured out the handle. The impression looks like a goldfish cracker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both your cookies and the peppermint pie sound delicious! Actually, I'd love to try that pie right now. It must be getting close to lunchtime. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!