Friday, March 20, 2020

Surviving the flu with tea … in 1918

I'm such a news junkie that I've been reading everything I can about the coronavirus pandemic. Yes, I'm staying home (and blessedly, I am able to continue editing books for my clients), but I am quite fascinated by the vast amount of news on the coronavirus, epidemics past and present, and possible cures.

And I was fairly flabbergasted to find this article on the CDC's website as part of its "Pandemic Influenza Storybook." (Storybook? Seems closer to the horror genre to me!) Now, I'm by no means telling you to go make a "tea" like this family in Missouri did back in 1918, especially since, as I understand it, all parts of the pokeweed plant are considered toxic!

Still, I loved this sentence from the story about 96-year-old Sarah: "She credits her long life to frequent hand washing, drinking lots of water, no tobacco or alcohol consumption, and prayer." (Note to self: Request hand soap and hand sanitizer for birthday, anniversary, Christmas, etc. this year. And keep praying!)

Stay safe, friends!

3 comments:

  1. Sarah's advice is good! (Even if we don't always follow all of it.) Thanks for sharing it. Now to go make a cup of green tea...

    ReplyDelete
  2. In regard to poke leaves, I've always heard that they are OK to eat when the plant is young--before any part of it has turned red--and it does have to be cooked appropriately. "Poke sallet" made of these young leaves has been eaten by Southern country folk for years--some towns in Kentucky and Tennessee even have Poke Sallet festivals. Not that I've ever tried it myself! As kids, we were always taught that the poke berries are definitely poisonous, so I always stayed away from the whole plant.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!