Monday, March 16, 2020

Baking banana bread during uncertain times

Well, it's been an interesting few days, hasn't it, friends? I figured there was no use showing up and typing "Isn't this a pretty new teacup?" because, if your house is anything like mine, all you're talking about is the coronavirus pandemic. I haven't left the house since Friday, and I "attended" my church service on a livestream on my laptop yesterday morning, something I gather I will be doing for a few more weeks, at least. Ironically, I'd been staying in a lot during recent weeks because of all the bad rain and flooding we've had here in Georgia. One gloomy day, I wanted to make some banana bread but was out of both eggs and milk. It was pouring down rain outside, and I just did not want to get in my car and drive to the grocery store. So I Googled and found this recipe for a banana bread that calls for no eggs and no milk, and surprisingly, it was one of the best loaves I've ever made.

Turns out, learning to bake with what's on hand was a good thing and a skill that may serve me well in the days ahead. So now, while I do once more have milk and eggs in the fridge, I'm happy to know I can use up those overripe bananas in the freezer by baking this recipe even when I don't. When I tried it yesterday, I used just one banana instead of two and added a cup of frozen blueberries. Delicious! (Note: I did add two extra tablespoons of oil this time since that is the only liquid in the recipe, and I seemed to be missing some moisture from that second banana.)

One other thing I've done since hunkering down at home is to increase my consumption of green tea. Why? This article lists 10 of green tea's benefits, and if you'll look it over, you might agree with me that anything that supports our health right now could be a good thing to consider adding to our diet.

I'm with those who initially thought we were probably overreacting to the coronavirus, and I still hope and pray that we are, but now I'm at the point where I want to be thoughtful in my comings and goings (if I do any "going") out of respect for others. As a Christian, I choose not to live in fear because God has told me many times in his word not to fear, but my faith also teaches me to live wisely, so I'm trying to do the best I can with the information I have at the moment.

How are you all doing with this thing? I hope you're doing well and keeping a chin up, because goodness knows, we're all in this together! If you get a moment, I'd love to hear that everyone is doing okay. If you're not and you need some encouragement, just leave a comment or shoot me an email (angelamcrae@charter.net) and I'll be glad to pray for you! And if there's ever been a time to share this slogan, it's now:


Stay safe, y'all! (And I started to add "and wash your hands," but I know without a doubt that my fellow tea lovers are already washing their hands religiously, ha!)

20 comments:

  1. Hi and thanks for your kind thoughts. Here in Asheville everything seems to be cancelled, as is appropriate. My family and I are fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Lynn. My planner has never had so many "canceled" strikeouts in it before! Glad you're all well, and I've about got your package ready to mail, BTW. Looking for one more thing I remembered (if I can find it), but either way, I'll shoot you an email once it's all on the way!

      Delete
  2. We too had online "church" yesterday. Today is very gloomy, but I'm enjoying my Forsythia and Carolina Jessamine blooming bright yellow, and 3 native Redbuds all awash in pink flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't all those blossoms just wonderful right now? Yet another signal to me that at least *spring* hasn't been canceled!

      Delete
  3. Washing my hands for sure and drinking tea. Now I don't usually drink green tea, but have some on hand. I just maybe should make a cup now. Trying to be mindful and have missed church for two weeks. No gym, but walking in my neighborhood. The fresh air feels amazing. I had an on the telephone visit with a friend as I sipped tea. The only thing beside out walking is having to go to the market. Now I see one of my markets opens at 6:30AM, I think I might just toss on some clothes one morning this week at be there when they open. After all, I think the cleaning would have just been done, at least I hope so. BTW, my church did worship time on Facebook yesterday. Now off to make that tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been seeing a lot of messages about "Facebook church," so it's nice to know someone who's actually doing it that way. The wonders of technology! Stay safe, and I'll join you in having another cup of tea!

      Delete
  4. So far, so good with me here in DC. Everything on my calendar has been cancelled, but I had a beautiful walk today at the National Cathedral's Bishop's Garden and Woodland Path. I saw a pileated woodpecker and a tufted titmouse, and a gorgeous huge weeping cherry tree, the largest star magnolia I know, and lots of flowers. Walking in the sunshine in the Springtime makes one feel better. And that yummy-sounding recipe makes me look forward to baking tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vernona, I'm with you on the benefits of walking! I usually just walk weekdays and skip the weekend (usually too busy, anyway), but I got in walks both Saturday and Sunday. Something about breathing in that good old natural air just makes me feel better!

      Delete
  5. We actually had church here in my city in Arkansas but probably the last for a while. So thankful that God is still in control and knows all. That bread sounds so good right now but alas the element in my oven just up and quit on me. Thankfully no oven needed for tea😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry about your oven, but yes, no oven required for a cup of tea! (And have you ever heard of Pea Ridge, Arkansas? During my single years, my best friend was from there, and she and I would drive "home" to Pea Ridge because she had a great hairdresser who gave us the most amazing spiral perms!)

      Delete
  6. School is closed here for at least 2 weeks. We picked up virtual work today. We are all fine. Glad you are too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it, Ginger, and best wishes to the Cato Home School program!

      Delete
  7. Thanks, Angela, for the tea slogan...I needed that reminder! Your encouraging post is appreciated. The banana bread looks and sounds wonderful! And I happen to have a banana or two in the freezer now! Susan in NC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you believe that I didn't know you could freeze bananas until a year or two ago? When I think of all the bananas I sent to an early death … Anyway, thanks to you, I have plenty of (Edenton-themed) reading/researching opportunities while I stay home! :)

      Delete
  8. Good morning Angela,
    Pretty much everything here in the Lowcountry of SC is closed or has altered hours. But the azaleas are gorgeous, along with the dogwoods, and the birds are singing! My church will be livestreaming on fb also. So as we praise God for His love and care, the beauty of His creation, we can give thanks for the use of technology..
    Blessings, Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to hear this, Linda! I've been making sure to take my usual daily walk, and here in Georgia, spring is just starting to blossom, so it sounds like you're a bit ahead of us in SC. And I'm with you on praising God for the many *good* things in our lives!

      Delete
  9. Your banana bread looks and sounds delicious! I'm doing fine, staying home as much as I can, working in the church office but staying away from people as much as I can. Since we have canceled meetings and worship services there aren't many people coming in here. We're learning how to navigate YouTube recording!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't guess I knew that you could *record* through YouTube! I knew about FB Live (I've read that some are having church that way), so this is most interesting. I'm starting to think we're all going to be a little more tech savvy once the pandemic is over. And I'm glad to hear you are doing well! :)

      Delete
  10. Thank you for sharing this recipe; eggs and milk are pretty hard to find here in the mountains of WNC right now! I am well-stocked with green tea, fortunately. I especially want to thank you for sharing your faith, and for your encouraging words in this troubling time. What a great reminder of God's promises!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome, Charlene, and it's great to know that fellow believers all across the country are praying our way through this uncertain time. Glad to hear you're well-stocked with green tea, and I hope you enjoy the recipe!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!