Monday, November 4, 2019

Vintage Christmas finds for teatime


Saturday's shopping included some fun finds at an antique mall in Villa Rica and a thrift store in Douglasville, and while I usually don't buy any vintage Christmas goodies this late in the year (I like to Christmas shop in July, when the thrifting is thriftiest), I actually found some bargains this "late" in the fall. And one reason I mention this is that I am on the lookout for any *vintage* publications with Christmas recipes. I have quite a few but am looking for more for a project I'm working on, so … if any of you happen to see or own old Christmas recipe clippings or booklets and care to share a photo, well, I would be most grateful!

My favorite purchase on Saturday was a vintage Christmas teacup, and surprisingly, it was just $6.95 at the antique mall. I have some other pieces that match it, but even if I didn't, I rarely turn down a vintage Christmas teacup that's under $10. The silver paper labels on the bottom are worn and I can't read them, but if I do a little research, I think I can figure out the maker. I was also hoping to find a new vintage Christmas tree pin at the antique mall, but alas, I didn't see one.

My other "vessels" were even better bargains. The four mugs (no maker, just a number on the bottom) were 20 cent each (new "tea mugs" for this Christmas), and the miniature Santa mug, while cracked and chippy, has character. He was 50 cents at the antique mall.

My other fun find from the thrift store was a box of old ornaments (nothing remarkable inside, and I'm pretty sure most of them were not Shiny Brite), but I loved this old box and figured it was worth $1.01 for the decor value.

Note the Uncle Sam and Santa Claus. Is it a fair assumption that this box was made around World War II? I just love forties and fifties Christmas items, and the prices at the thrift store are great. I also found a couple of inexpensive rhinestone pins, but alas, I found no vintage Christmas tree pin. 

I got back home late that night, and in the mailbox was a surprise from my friend Joy that made me smile from ear to ear … a vintage Eisenberg Ice Christmas tree pin! Now isn't that some fun timing? And don't worry. I'm not one of those women who puts up her Christmas tree the day after Halloween, but I do believe in shopping early for Christmas, and since I collect vintage Christmas items, I need to be vigilant at this time of year. We now return to our regularly scheduled month of Thanksgiving!

8 comments:

  1. I smiled when I read your comment that you were looking for a vintage Christmas tree pin. I'm so glad the timing was good! And I love your other finds, especially the little Santa mug. I have one vintage ornament (more than likely Shiny Brite) that was used on our tree as I grew up, and I treasure it! I'd have bought that box, too, just for the box - not that I need anything else Christmasy, just because of the sentimental memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did well with your finds, Angela, and how serendipitous to receive the Christmas tree pin! Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was very kind of Joy.

    Great finds - love your new vintage Christmas teacup - it is beautiful.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like those dark green holly tea mugs! The Uncle Sam & Santa Shiny Brite box is great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great finds. The Christmas tree pin reminds me of my grandma. I should send you a picture of her pins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like great fun to me! Love the vintage and I too have a couple of those Japan cups and saucers....maybe even more. I adore the old vintage ornaments too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE ALL of these teatime treasures!!!! You did GOOD on that outing!!! Plus the Christmas tree pin was icing on the cake! :)
    Susan in NC

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun new finds. I always smile when I see a Santa mug. They remind me of you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!