Friday, November 1, 2019

Guess who's having tea in Rochester?

Credit: Photographs in the Carol M. Highsmith Archive, Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division

For years now, I have checked in with the Library of Congress website periodically to see if I could find any new *vintage* photos about tea or teatime. This week, I noticed for the first time that I can sort photos according to year of publication, and I wondered what the newer photos might look like. To my surprise, I found a photo of some absolutely marvelous sculptures that I'd never even heard of before! (Click here and you can use the drop-down menu under the photo to see it even larger.)

It says, "Artist Pepsy M. Kettavong's 2001 'Let's Have Tea' sculptures of women's suffrage pioneer Susan B. Anthony and escaped slave turned emancipation orator Frederick Douglass stand in Rochester, New York's Susan B. Anthony Square Park."

I would love to see these sculptures for myself one day (bucket list). If you happen to be in the neighborhood, you may want this on your bucket list of tea sites to visit as well!

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful sculpture! If I'm ever in that vicinity, I'll be sure to stop and admire it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get to check this off your list one day

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's certainly a unique sculpture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing information about this very interesting sculpture. I am happy to know about it and indeed I hope to see it someday! In my genealogy research I have found a journal entry from a relative that heard Frederick Sherman speak in 1856 in Richmond, IN. Pretty exciting!
    Susan in NC

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!