Monday, October 21, 2019

The mystery of "Who was Betty?"

When a friend from Newnan, Nancy, knew she was headed to York for a few weeks this summer, she asked if there was a souvenir I'd like for her to bring back for me. And since she asked, I told her I'd love to see some teatime brochures or pamphlets that might help me plan my next trip to England. And since she enjoyed teatimes and meals at one of several Bettys Café Tea Rooms, she brought me back a cute bag full of local brochures as well as a delightful new book I was thrilled to add to my tea library! Who was Betty? features a foreword by Prince Charles, and various writers have supplied whimsical stories about who Betty might have been. The truth is that no one really knows, although I do find it interesting that, as one writer points out, the name is "Bettys" and not "Betty's," so I especially like the story suggesting that the name pays tribute to several women named Betty.

 This is the back of the book, and I just love the style of the teatime graphics.

A visit to Bettys has long been on my bucket list, and thanks to Nancy, I now know that this is the 100th anniversary of the founding of Bettys, which is known for, among other things, its famously fruity Fat Rascal scones.

And something else I learned? Bettys has a Cookery School! Nancy said if she had known that beforehand, she might have arranged to take a class while she was there. It's certainly something I want to look into before my next trip to England, and if any of you are going soon, book a class early, because I looked online, and they apparently fill up fast! Have any of you been to Bettys while you were in England? Did you all enjoy it as much as my friend Nancy did?

5 comments:

  1. I have not been to England (yet) but my new son-in-law has family there, so the next time my daughter goes, I'll tell her to look for Bettys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While in York and Harrogate we were able to visit Bettys! They are busy all the time, be sure to make reservations. It was wonderful! When are you planning to go? The Cotswolds are a great area for many lovely Tearooms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you get to have tea at a Bettys, AND get to take a cooking class there! That really sounds like fun. I have never been to England myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I have had afternoon tea at Betty's and it was most wonderful. I totally recommend making reservations because those with reservations have a different room and different (more elaborate) tea experience. I came home with a canvas shopping bag from Betty's and I love taking it to the market. Occasionally I get questions about it from the checkout people. Definitely go to Betty's. Plus, York is a wonderful place to visit. We also had tea at a simpler tearoom there too, then when we were leaving I saw a tearoom by the train museum that was dedicated to Princes Diana. Oh, I wish I had seen that one earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to share, I was looking through Bruce Richardson's "The Great Tea Rooms of Britain" and what should I find? Bettys!! I was going to download some pictures from the book, but can't find where I can attach them. I hope you have access to the book and can see for yourself. Thank you...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!