Monday, June 3, 2019

"The Vintage Baker" by Jessie Sheehan

I was in more of "reading" mood than a "cooking" mood this weekend, and my reading included a new cookbook I had recently ordered, The Vintage Baker by Jessie Sheehan. This isn't a tea cookbook, but I shouldn't have been surprised that I came across a few tea-inspired recipes in the book.


When I opened it, I discovered a lovely surprise, a cute little facsimile cookbook of Vintage Recipes. In the intro, Sheehan explains that she got interested in all things related to sweets and baking when she went to work at a bakery in Brooklyn, New York, more than a decade ago and began collecting recipe booklets.

The recipes in this book are "revamped" versions of some old ones, and I enjoyed seeing where she got the originals. Here, for instance, is her recipe for Chai Banana Fritters. The chai spices are part of her "update" to the recipe, and this sounds quite delicious.

And have you ever heard of Swedish Tea Rolls? I had not, but Sheehan says they taste like "the best mini cinnamon-sugar toaster pastry you've ever had," and she also says they're perfect with an afternoon cup of tea. (I'm sold!) The Vintage Baker is one of the most fun, unique cookbooks I've come across in a while, and if you're into vintage recipes yourself, I definitely recommend that you take a look. 

I've been collecting vintage recipe booklets as well for the past few years, especially looking for anything suitable for teatime, so I love her idea of updating some of these recipes. Do you collect (or have saved) vintage recipe booklets? If so, got any recommendations?

5 comments:

  1. I enjoy looking at vintage recipe booklets, and I like the idea of an updated book based on vintage recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this wonderful review! Hoping you make the Swedish Tea Rolls and enjoy them with a cup of tea! XO, Jessie Sheehan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're on my list to try soon, Jessie! And thanks for writing such a great book!

      Delete
  3. I do enjoy those vintage recipe booklets, and have a couple that my sister in North Carolina has found for me. Your "Betty Crocker Picture Cooky Book" looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use to have many vintage cookbooks! Ha! It was because I got them new when I first got married. I still have a few, but have gleaned out the ones I don't use. I do love the old recipes primarily because they weren't all about being healthy. Even the Better Homes and Garden cookbook from my wedding gifts is the one I still use because the newer ones just aren't as good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!