Monday, June 24, 2019

A Historical Society Tea at The Veranda in Senoia

It is always such a pleasure to be asked to attend the Senoia Area Historical Society's Afternoon Tea, and this year's event was one of the best yet! It was held at The Veranda, a historic bed-and-breakfast inn on the National Register. I have so many great memories of The Veranda over the years. I've been to numerous teas there, and my stepdaughter's beautiful wedding reception was held there. I first visited the hotel as a young newspaper reporter and interviewed the then-owners, Jan and Bobby Boal (Jan was the husband, Bobby the wife), who were just some of the loveliest people I've ever met,  and they became known far and wide not only for their hospitality but also for their collection of kaleidoscopes. Today's owner, Laura Reynolds, introduced me to guests and carried on the inn's tradition of offering elegant events and warm hospitality!

I wasn't, of course, the first reporter to interview people at The Veranda, and I won't be the last, but you know who else conducted interviews there? Margaret Mitchell! It's widely told around these parts that she came to Senoia and interviewed Confederate veterans about their Civil War memories when she was doing research for Gone With the Wind. Quick note: If you like movies, Senoia is also the Georgia town where filming occurred for Fried Green Tomatoes, Driving Miss Daisy, and more recently, shows like Drop Dead Diva and The Walking Dead. So if you're into TV and movies, you need to know the name Senoia. It's pronounced by the locals like "Suh-noy," which rhymes with "boy." So getting to spend some time in Senoia is always a treat!

 The Veranda today.



What a welcoming porch! (And greeter!)

Here are just a few of the great hats I saw this year. I was so busy (I was also reading from and, at the end, signing copies of Emerald and Envy) that I somehow failed to get a photo of the winning hat, but the "record" fascinator at top right won Honorable Mention. How clever is that!

My fellow judges included my friend Corby Winters of The Coweta Shopper, shown with me here, and Senoia's mayor, Jeff Fisher.


Here are a few of the lovely tables that were set up in the various dining rooms at The Veranda.

And I couldn't wait to tell you about the unique menu they had this year. As everyone was arriving, we got to nibble on these cute crudité cups. I had skipped lunch (I've learned to do so because of their elaborate teas), so I found this a fun way to be welcomed to teatime!

Another touch that someone obviously spent a lot of time on: calligraphy place cards at each guest's seat, along with a beribboned souvenir menu and a floral sugar cookie.

Each table had a selection of teas from Harney & Sons, and I selected the Paris blend, which I have long enjoyed. I loved this gorgeous teapot that held the hot water.


And when the tea trays came out, we were all oohing and aahing. The menu: Mini Scones, Cucumber Radish Sandwiches, Pimento Cheese Sandwiches, Chicken Salad Sandwiches, Assorted Cold Cuts, Totsie's Tea Cakes, Brownies, Lemon Tartlets, Strawberry Mini Cupcakes, Peach Mini Cupcakes, Cake Truffles, and Floral Sugar Cookies.


I have to tell you about a unique tea sandwich I ate, which I learned was made by my friend (and longtime historical society member) Nancy. It was these Cucumber Radish Sandwiches, and she laughed when I told her it was the most sophisticated cucumber sandwich I've ever had, and it was! She spread cream cheese on a thick cranberry bread and topped each piece with thin slices of cucumber and radish and a bit of rosemary, all speared with a black olive garnish and then the slightest bit of balsamic vinegar sprinkled on top. This flavor combination is not one I would have ever thought of, but I absolutely loved it. Everything I ate was quite tasty (and my favorite sweet was the mini lemon tart with its yummy, crumbly crust), but this sandwich deserves a special mention.

I also met a few other local authors and got invited to visit a book club, so it was a wonderful afternoon in so very many delicious ways!


5 comments:

  1. That sounds like a lovely afternoon! And I'm glad to know how to pronounce Senoia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to spend an afternoon! Very nice photograph of you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are wonderful photos--they really give us a good idea of what sounds like an exciting event! I'm glad you had such a great time there. Looking at all that lovely tea-time food is making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Cucumber Radish Sandwich sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! I love the idea of veggies in the cups too. I am preparing for a presentation of Packing for Tea Outdoors at our tea festival and something like this only in jars could be very fun for taking tea outdoors.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!