Wednesday, May 22, 2019

A mystery in the new issue of Tea Time …

I always find so much to admire in a new Tea Time magazine, and the May/June 2019 issue has so many fun things … as well as a bit of mystery.

One mystery is the cozy mystery Chocolate Cream Pie Murder by Joanne Fluke, whose cozies I've read and enjoyed. I like how Tea Time is partnering with the book's publisher on "The Cozy Corner." That is just smart marketing for everyone.

But the mystery I'm most interested in? Where did they find the verrine glasses (a term I'd never heard before) on the second tier of this tea tray? I've looked on the resources page at the back of the magazine, but it doesn't list them. They'd have to be small to fit on the second tier of a tea tray, right? Have any of you heard of verrine glasses before?

And finally, I'll probably never have a tea for Cinco de Mayo, but I love these cute little seven-layer dips served in small glasses. Would you serve these at a fiesta tea?

10 comments:

  1. You just helped me learn something new! Verrine glasses
    Aperitif verrine glasses and spoons are the new stars of our friendly dinners. ... A Verrine is an appetizer or dessert that consists of a number of components layered artfully in a small glass. Savory or sweet, cold or warm, sophisticated or casual, Verrines can find their way in any kind of parties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bernideen, I know you love glassware and dishes as much as I do (probably more!), so I'm just quite surprised that neither of us had heard of these before!

      Delete
  2. Verrine glasses are new to me, too, but they are very cute! I will be honest, I'd probably not go to the trouble of making individual 7 layer dip servings but it's a neat idea for someone who has the time to do it. I've read some of Joanne Fluke's books and will look for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound like me, Joy. I usually toss everything for that seven-layer dip in a casserole or trifle bowl and … done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd never heard of verrine glasses, either, but I love those! Now I'll have to be on the lookout for some in consignment or secondhand shops, since I do like cute little glasses.
    And no, I don't think I'd serve individual 7-layer dips for Cinco de Mayo, but those in the photo ARE pretty (except for the olives, which I can't stand!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Among my grandmother's things I found some small blue glasses that looked very similar. She called them sherbet glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have some little sherbet glasses too...very similat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning Angela! This looks like a fun issue. Perhaps you should send the magazine a copy of your book, flagging the tea moments, and see if they would like to feature it next ;-)
    I like the individual dip bowls for a 'themed' tea. Funny story, I had a tea several years ago and asked each lady to bring a savory item. One lady didn't know what savory meant and brought a back of Pepperidge Farm cookies. Another lady brought seven layer bean dip and tortilla chips. I think the other lady brought salad. I had made scones and creme fraiche as planned & told in advance. We basically had no traditional tea sandwiches or savories. My daughter quickly went through the freezer and came up with a few things, such as flautas she microwaved and cut into thirds to be more appropriately sized for tea. Everyone laughed over it and we all still had a good time. To this day we still joke about it. The lady with the cookies declared she "savored" them! :)
    Have a great day! ~Heather Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never heard of erroneous glasses. I wonder if they are vintage?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This issue was fun to see what tea shops they found in my part of the world.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!