Friday, March 1, 2019

The Orange Marmalade Cake … and plans for more!

Last Friday, Daddy turned 80 years old, so my sister and I had a surprise party for him at her house in Tallapoosa with family and friends.

Rhonda made barbecue, Brunswick stew, and sides, and all I had to do was get the paper products and make a cake, so I got the easy end of things. Daddy usually bakes the cakes in our family, but I decided this occasion was deserving of the Orange Marmalade Cake made famous by Jan Karon's Mitford books. The cake was even more delicious than I had imagined, and two of the older ladies at the party asked me for the recipe, which I took as a great endorsement. I got the recipe from Jan Karon's Mitford Cookbook & Kitchen Reader, and the recipe is also available online here. It wasn't hard to make at all, just a little labor intensive, and I found myself thinking about whether this wonderful cake could somehow be turned into a teatime treat involving something besides regular cake slices.

Fast-forward a few days, and I was reading the new issue of Southern Living, which features Joanna Gaines on the cover. I enjoyed the profile of her, especially since Rhonda and I are planning a trip to Texas this summer and plan to stop by the Gaines family's Magnolia empire in Waco, which my sister's family has visited and enjoyed before.

But the magazine also had a feature titled "Garden Party," and one of their ideas was to use a round cutter to turn a sheet cake into "two-layer minis." Naturally, I had a real eureka moment and realized I could do that with the Orange Marmalade Cake. I can just see the little bits of marmalade sparkling atop a miniature version of the cake. Isn't it neat when you have a question about something and then the answer serendipitously appears?

So how many of you have made the Orange Marmalade Cake? I'd love to know how it turned out!



9 comments:

  1. Hi Angela and happy "future" spring!
    I have made various orange marmalade cakes before and I remember one having a Scottish recipe and also another for a Titanic theme. The story behind Orange Marmalade always charmed me. Your Dad's birthday was a great success and how wonderful of you to make that happen! (haven't seen the magazine though)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly have read about that famous cake, but have not made nor tasted it. But yours looked delicious, and what a great picture that is of you, your father, and your sister! Little orange marmalade tea cakes sounds like a great idea, too. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have that book and always wondered if that cake was really good. Good to know and I love your idea of making it into small little tea cakes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ve never made orange marmalade cake. After seeing your cake, I need to add it to my “to bake” list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom has made Esther's Orange Marmalade Cake a few times. She always adds some fresh picked pansies on top (if it's the right time of year) and it makes it even more beautiful! Susan in NC

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was tempted, but never tried the cake. Yours was quite beautiful. Love the springtime idea too for miniature cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read all those books, and always wondered if anyone ever attempted the famous Orange Marmalade cake! It is so beautiful and it looks delicious! You may have inspired me! We'll see :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't remember if it was my daughter who made the OMC, or me, but one of us did and it was fantastic. I love, love, love your idea of making mini OMCs.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!