Wednesday, March 27, 2019

"Les Petits Macarons" by Kathryn Gordon & Anne E. McBride


I made my first macarons in 2012, having beginner's luck and finding success on my first attempt, and I was on a macaron kick for a while. I bought magazines with macaron recipes, tried the macarons everywhere I saw them, and even bought a macaron cookbook. Then my interest waned, and when I saw this pretty cookbook that had come out at about the same time, I decided I didn't need it.

But when the Salvation Army in Carrollton had their 5-for-$1 book sale, I quickly decided that 20¢ was not too much to pay to check out a mint-condition copy of Les Petits Macarons. Since I haven't made (or eaten) macarons in a while, I'm practically drooling over all the offerings in this book, and I was surprised to find quite a few tea-flavored macaron recipes, including these flavors: green tea, green tea and white chocolate, chai, and lapsang souchong with whiskey (variation: Earl Grey). There are also some flavors I consider tea-related, such as chamomile and lemon curd.

And in what I think is a super-smart move, authors Kathryn Gordon and Anne E. McBride offer tips on recipes you can make with any less-than-perfect macaron shells that you end up with, things like tarts and trifle. There's also a section on trouble-shooting tips, so even though I've had macaron-making luck in the past, I'm please to see tips on how to resolve any issues in the future!



6 comments:

  1. What a great find for 20 cents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a lovely book, and at that price, I can see why you bought it. I love macarons, and sometimes buy one or two at a bakery, but if I made them myself, I would eat way too many!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You find the best bargains. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only made macrons once, they turned out pretty good. I'm not a big fan, they are way to sweet for me. But for 20 cents, I would have bought the book too. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful find! I've recently taken a liking to macarons, but haven't tried making them myself yet. Will have to look for this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love macarons too, but have only made them once. I guess I should persevere. It is amazing how many different flavors there are when visiting a shop that sells them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!