Monday, March 18, 2019

Are you ready for Spring?

Alex did a lot of work on our lawn this weekend, so I was inspired to go around and take photos of a few of the early bloomers like flowering almond, some kind of flowering cherry tree (I think), and some purplish tulips that I do not remember planting.

My other weekend project was to divide some African violets I have been rooting. A few months ago, I realized my street-facing bathroom window has light that my African violets really love, so I rooted three leaves, and they all resulted in little plants! I left the big one in the middle in the African violet pot, but I carefully removed the other two plants and repotted them.

I put the medium-sized one in this made-in-the-UK clay teacup planter, a gift from my friend Sandra many years ago. I have a matching large teapot planter too, but I haven't yet decided what's going into it this year.

And this tiny little plant is temporarily going to grow (I hope!) in a tiny little teapot planter I found at a garden shop in Wisconsin some years ago.

It turned cooler this weekend, and Spring doesn't officially arrive until Wednesday, but I'm ready for it. Are you?

7 comments:

  1. Angela, I've enjoyed all your flower pictures! Yes, I'm ready for spring, but it's slower to arrive here in the mountains. It's on the way, though. Your African Violet "rootlings" (I think I made up that word) look very healthy and I'll look forward to pictures when they bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm ready for Spring! Your Spring flowers and African violets are very pretty and inspiring. I visited my sister in Chapel Hill, NC, a couple of weeks ago, and Spring was pretty advanced there, while nothing was blooming in DC except snowdrops. Now some of our cherry trees are blooming, and a few daffodils, too, so I know that Spring will be here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so funny of you to say that. My African Violets also do best in my bathroom window. I have some that have huge leaves and also the most beautiful bouquet of flowers. (Audrey Stewart / jozywails@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love African violets (or aframa bilets as my daughter used to say). I have never tried to root them tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how sweet, Brenda! That reminds me of when my sister was a little girl and called my mother's "Iris and Herringbone" Depression glass "Irish hambone."

      Delete
  5. Lovely pictures. Spring is definitely in the air

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!