Friday, February 1, 2019

Some teapots of distinction

Have any of my tea friends ever visited the World's Largest Teapot in Chester, West Virginia? I've seen pictures of it on the internet for years, like this public domain image I found on Wikipedia, and I'm rather surprised not to have seen photos of any of my tea friends across the country posing there. (Have I missed a visit by someone I know?)

The history of this teapot is here and here, and of course I am thinking this would be the perfect spot for a pop-up tearoom!

Speaking of unusual teapots, I was looking for something else on eBay this week when I came across a fascinating history-related teapot. Curious? Check it out here. I've never seen such a teapot before, but I'm very intrigued by it and its patriotic message to the English people in 1939.

6 comments:

  1. I've never been to that "largest" teapot but yes, it does look like the perfect spot for a photo op. I checked out that British teapot - quite unusual and interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, there is actually one that is larger and known as the World's Largest Teapot in Navasota, Texas at Martha Bloomers Gardens & Tearoom. I've been there and took a picture, but it's way out in a field, so I didn't get to stand by it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an entertaining photo of that "world's largest teapot"! I have never seen it in person. That anti-Hitler teapot is also very interesting. Teapots have been used for political comment for a long time--there was the famous "No Stamp Act" one made for American colonists before the Revolutionary War. One can buy replicas at Colonial Williamsburg, as well as little ones to use as Christmas tree ornaments. This Smithsonian link tells the teapot's history--they were actually made in England for sale in the American colonies. http://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_1320066

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not know the US was home to a large teapot. Might be fun for a road trip one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I went by it July 2018 when were visiting the Homer Laughlin (Fiesta) Factory in Newell WV. Newell and Chester run into each other. I had googled it before we went on the trip. There isn't any parking, you would have to cross the street to get to it. Christy from Tulsa Oklahoma

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do believe you need to plan a trip to the very large teapot. I love the political teapot too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!