Friday, November 23, 2018

Memories of Thanksgiving 2018

We were blessed with sunny skies and mild weather for our Thanksgiving celebration here in Newnan yesterday. From left, that's Daddy, Aunt Jane, brother-in-law Brad, nephew Matthew, sister Rhonda, nieces Amelia, Madison, and Cari, and me.

And the same group with Alex, since we didn't have a spare person to take a photo of all of us this year!

A tearoom-owner friend once told me that restaurants aren't supposed to leave dishes out overnight, but at my house, I do indeed set the table the night before. I love all my turkey dishes, and I had forgotten I own amber glassware until I opened the plastic bin Alex fetched from the garage. Once I got the tea pitcher on the table, it dawned on me that, ironically, I had not thought about making tea for Thanksgiving, so I added that to my list of tasks for Thanksgiving morning to be sure we had both sweet and unsweet tea for everyone. I didn't think to take photos of the food, but here was the menu, which is split between my sister and me: turkey and dressing, rolls, layered salad, broccoli casserole, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, sweet potato casserole, cranberry sauce, olives, deviled eggs, and chocolate chip, pecan, and sweet potato pies. Yum! (It's not technically accurate to say the menu included the deviled eggs, as I made them and then forgot to get them out of the fridge, but I did send the entire plate of them home with my sister, as I'm not a huge fan of deviled eggs, but everyone else is.)

"Gobble, gobble" sounds a bit like "waddle, waddle," doesn't it?

We also continued our Thanksgiving tradition of giving new Christmas ornaments to the nieces and nephew. Matthew got a Spider-Man ornament.

Horse lover Amelia got a horse for her collection.

Walking Dead fan Cari got an ornament featuring her favorite character from the show.

And niece Madison recently survived a bad car wreck with only minor bumps and bruises (thank you, Lord!), so I thought a guardian angel ornament was perfect for her this year.  I hope you all enjoyed a great Thanksgiving with those you love as well!



4 comments:

  1. Your Thanksgiving table was lovely and the feast sounds delicious, but the family gathered around the table is the best part of all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What nice photos of your family! And I love your turkey plates. That's such a fun tradition of giving new Christmas ornaments to your nieces and nephews at Thanksgiving. I'm glad you had such pleasant weather. It was freezing cold here in DC (with temperatures in the 20's only), but it didn't keep my group of friends from getting together our annual "Friendsgiving" celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad y’all had a nice Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your tradition of giving the ornaments on Thanksgiving. I may start that one too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!