Wednesday, November 28, 2018

A needlework project for winter

A few weeks ago, my sister was attending a retreat in the North Georgia Mountains with some friends from her church when she texted me a photo of a hat she saw in a shop there. "You should make this hat," she said. I agree. And I would wear it. In fact, I wish I'd had it yesterday on my 5 p.m. walk, when the temperature was in the low thirties with brisk winds. Despite wearing a thick winter coat and leather gloves, I nearly froze. So getting some sort of hat, and fast, is a must!

I've been sewing hexies during my free time as I watch Netflix these days, but I may have to set those aside in favor of whipping up a new hat. I've found a crochet pattern for a similar hat here and a knit pattern for such a hat here. (There's also a pattern you can buy for a knit hat with a teapot design here, but this is way beyond my skill set as a knitter.) I believe I could crochet the hat on Ravelry.com pretty quickly, but alas, I've signed up for the site and clicked every button on that page and cannot find a way to download the pattern. Are any of you familiar with Ravelry and have any tips?

Meanwhile, would you wear this hat? I sure would, around my neighborhood at least. If you're a needlework fan, I'd love to hear what you're working on during these cool evenings!

5 comments:

  1. Not sure if I would. When I was in the Cotswolds, a shop owner told me, she had to make a sign for the tea cozy’s because tourists were buying them as hats, and wearing them out of the shop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good point from Frances that people might think you were wearing a tea cozy! But on the positive side, if you do crochet the hat but don't like the way it fits or the way it looks on you, then you CAN use it as a tea cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably would not put the TEA on it. I am working on a garland of wool pennies with different sizes of circles and stars. I love wool applique and it's a great take-along project too. Susan K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have many talents. Can’t wait to see your completed hat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right now I am making granny squares, which I think I will put into a scarf. Someone at the Seattle Tea Festival was wearing a hat similar to that and getting alot of attention at the tea festival.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!