Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Afternoon Tea in Winnipeg, circa 1937

I came across this Afternoon Tea menu from the Royal Alexandra Hotel in Winnipeg online, courtesy of the New York Public Library's digital collections.

The cross-stitch design on the cover is quite intriguing, as I'm assuming someone probably stitched this at one time, as the shading of the cross-stitches looks handmade and not perfectly designed by an artist's hand. Do you agree?

If you're interested, click on the link underneath the photo and you can go to the NYPL site, where you'll find all the pages from the menu, including one with the line "Private Tea and Bridge Parties Arranged by Head Waiter." Wouldn't you like to have attended a private tea there? I sure would!

5 comments:

  1. Yes, the menu looks handmade. I wonder what the Windsor sandwich is, and the cabin log toast? I think I would have the .40 menu! My bridge ladies would definitely like to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a charming cover on that afternoon tea menu. There were probably lots of food items with "Windsor" in the title in 1937, since that was the year King Edward VIII abdicated and married Wallis Simpson and became the Duke of Windsor.--from Vernona in DC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the cross stitch idea, especially the teapot and steam rising from it. Yes, I would love having tea there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny that the afternoon tea offerings were listed by price! What a fun find. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting menu fir sure. The prices are amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!