Friday, June 22, 2018

"At Farley tea"

My latest tea find on the Library of Congress website is this photo, and the description reads: "At Farley tea. Mrs. Daniel Skilling of New York City, a guest at the tea given by Mrs. James A. Farley, wife of the Postmaster General, on the afternoon of cabinet wives at home. 1/16/35"

This photo makes me wish *I* had been invited to the Farley tea!

But Lord willing, I will be at tea in Senoia on Saturday, where I'll once again be a judge for their hat contest. Photos to come!

8 comments:

  1. Diesn't that look lovely? "afternoon of cabinet wives at home" made me smile. How times have changed!
    Enjoy your tea (and hat judging) this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Doesn't" not "diesn't". Where is autocorrect when it could really be helpful?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like the Postmaster Gen. was doing quite well! ;) Good for them! What a lovely tea party. These old b&W photos are the bees knees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful! I bet her bracelet is diamonds, and the tea set is sterling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing picture you found. Good luck judging the hat contest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, I wonder if she is being "mother" for the tea since she is sitting and everything is around her. In the early 1980s I attended a fundraising tea and there was a lady who was "mother," asking how you liked your tea, she prepared it, poured from a silver tea pot that kept being exchanged for her. She added sugar, lemon or milk ad you liked. It wasn't till years later I learned that is the English custom and "mother" can be either sex.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to your hat pictures. Have fun judging.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!