Friday, December 15, 2017

Matcha madness

Friends, I'm afraid I've let you down. A better blogger would have managed to review the Starbucks Christmas Tree Frappuccino in time for you to actually try one (if you hadn't already), but no, I didn't get mine until the very last day they were available, December 11, and by then it was too late to blog about it. In case you didn't get to try one, I hesitate to tempt you now, but … in this drink, mocha and peppermint were blended with milk and ice, and the drink was topped with a "tree" of matcha-infused whipped cream drizzled with caramel and a strawberry on top. (It was supposed to have candied cranberries, but I'm afraid I didn't see or taste any in my drink.)

Still, this frappuccino was quite yummy, especially since I absolutely love peppermint treats at this time of year. But matcha … in a Starbucks drink? Does that strike you as it does me, as somehow significant?

We tea lovers have known about using tea as an ingredient for years, but it seems to me that the food world at large has now caught on to the trend. I typed "recipe with matcha" into Google, and up came more than 1 million results! I'm still not a real fan of matcha on its own, but I do enjoy cooking with it on occasion. Are you a matcha fan?

6 comments:

  1. It's ok that the review is just now happening, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not a coffee fan, so even for the matcha topping, I probably wouldn't have tried this one. Coffee lovers would probably enjoy it, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only drinks I get there are tea and hot chocolate. No coffee for me, but sounds nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sure looks pretty too! I love their Peach Tranquility tea. Caffeine free, no added sugar. My little niece loves their cake pops too! Glad you enjoyed your treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s pretty. I like the green tea Frappuccino. I’ll have to check for this next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to try the Christmas tree frapp which was available in Canada until today. I work right across from a Starbucks, but I just couldn't bring myself to make the 5-minute walk in -20 degrees Celsius (-4F). I finally got a chance to drop by a Starbucks today (it was a balmy -7C), but they had run out of the matcha whipped cream--the only reason I wanted to try it. So I ended up ordering the eggnog frappucino instead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishing I tried this, but I tend to just stick with chai lattes when I go into Starbucks. Must watch more closely.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!