Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Moss rose snack sets that mix and match

Before I put away all those snack sets from the ladies' group tea last week, I made a point of organizing them into two hampers with like pieces grouped together. What struck me, though, was how very many variations there are on this apparently common moss rose design. Do some of you remember the old song from "Sesame Street" that began "One of these things is not like the other"? Well, all four of these plates are not like the other!

The cups, too, had different shapes, handles, and roses. The two at right both have scallops, although it's a bit hard to tell on the cup at lower right.

My favorite of the designs is this one. Those thin "mossy green" leaves are really gold, and if you look at the leaves at far left, you'll see what I mean. I just wasn't able to capture the gilding in my photo.

You can see it a bit more in the teacup. I have six of these sets and really love them. Just wish I could remember how and why I acquired them! 

On the other plates, I found myself studying the number and placement of roses and the lavender flowers among the leaves. Clearly, the cups matching these sets would be the ones with the lavender flowers, right?

But which of these two cups would you pair with this plate? The one on the right, I suppose, since it has more of a scalloped design. I finally realized that if I'm pairing cups with snack plates and can't see much difference in a particular design, my guests won't be too bothered by any mismatched sets, either. Since many of these plates have a number but no back stamp on them, I've decided that absolutely accurate identification of them is simply not going to be a priority. Do you have any pieces that have you scratching your head over which cup goes with which plate or saucer? All I know is that I have 17 of these rose snack sets where I'm positive of the pairing, and 15 are anybody's guess!

9 comments:

  1. How nice to have so many sets that you can use for large events! They are all so pretty,too. I have been collecting some clear glass snack sets for my kindergarten class tea parties and I can only match up some of the ones embossed with designs of grapes. All the rest look much the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you are using your glass snack sets for kindergarten tea parties and training the next generation of tea lovers!

      Delete
  2. I agree that the scalloped teacup matches better but once there's tea in the cup, who is going to be seeing if they're an exact match?
    ps I'm impressed with the blogger having kindergarten tea parties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The scalloped cup matches better but honestly either would work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are all beautiful!I have the same teacup which is on the left!Sorry for my english!Hugs,Maristella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maristella, I think your English is great! Sounds like we enjoy the same pretty roses!

      Delete
  5. That is so interesting - I had no idea there were so many of that "pattern."

    Thanks for showing us in such a neat way. Lovely sets for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!