Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Thrifting over the Memorial Day weekend

Lately I've been on a cleaning-out binge, tossing away, giving away, and putting away all kinds of books, magazines, and bric-a-brac. I've got my dad's blessing to bring some junk to his basement so my sister and I can be ready for the town yard sale there this fall. I don't care if I sell the stuff or not, I just want it gone. So I really, really think twice about bringing new stuff into my house (and my rule regarding teacups is that for any new one I bring in, I have to give one away, so expect some giveaways in the future, ha!). One area where I bend the rules, though, is when I come across something that's been on my "wish list," and Saturday at the Salvation Army in Carrollton, my aunt and I were shopping when I found a full-size cottage teapot like I've been wanting! Since it was just $1.50 and was in great shape, this definitely met a need.

It wasn't marked except for a sticker saying Made in Phillipines. I don't recall ever having teawares from the Phillipines before, do you?

The night before I hit the Salvation Army, I was talking to someone who wants me to help her with a big private tea on her property this fall. As I stood there pondering this fifty-cent handled dish, all I could think was, "Yes, and you'll be wishing you had this for lemon curd and cream come fall, won't you?" Since fall-colored teawares aren't that easy to come by, this got the nod as well.

The backstamp says Mitterteich, Bavaria, Germany. I found a page regarding Mitterteich backstamps here, and I gather this piece was made sometime after 1920. Fun finds at the thrift store!

8 comments:

  1. I,ve been doing some "weeding out", too, but sometimes I find a treasure worth keeping. I'm glad you found these two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been doing the same thing. I was in a town sale too. What didn't sell was donated. However, I can't keep the one in, one out rule for teacups! I thinking of starting a twelve step program to help people clear the clutter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hubby and I cleared out a lot of stuff a few years ago. I still love to Thrift Store shop, but try to only buy things to give away. Satisfies my urge to "procure" and my love of gifting at the same time and keeps my cabinets from getting filled back up! Great little finds. I especially love the small dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are fun finds, which are so hard to resist. That dish will be perfect for your fall tea time. Actually the teapot would be nice then too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great cottage teapot! Love those!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. The handle dish is lovely. Great finds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You perfectly convey the love of the treasure hunt as well as the reality of limits to "stuff". Thanks for sharing the joy of your recent find! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. GREAT discovered treasures - and the prices are amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!