Monday, May 2, 2016

Cranberry-Pecan Tea Bread #2

Late Saturday afternoon, it dawned on me that I was supposed to bake something for my Sunday School class breakfast the next day. I quickly remembered that I'd been wanting to try a variation on the Cranberry Bread recipe I make at Christmas. That one uses fresh cranberries, which I don't usually have on hand in the spring. It also called for shortening, which I didn't have, and orange zest, and I didn't have an orange either. So I experimented with what I had on hand, and I'm happy to report I was quite pleased with what I'm now calling Cranberry-Pecan Tea Bread #2, the tea bread I will make when fresh cranberries aren't readily available.


Cranberry-Pecan Tea Bread #2

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons orange flavoring
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons boiling water
1 egg, well beaten
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup dried cranberries

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In separate large bowl, combine orange flavoring, butter, boiling water, and egg and mix well, making sure butter melts completely in the boiling water. Add dry ingredients to the liquid ones and blend just until combined. Add pecans and cranberries and mix well. Pour into 9 x 5 x 3-inch pan prepared with cooking spray (or use a parchment liner). Allow batter to stand for 20 minutes before baking. Bake at 350 degrees for 60-70 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. 

(The link to the original recipe is here if anyone would like it.)

10 comments:

  1. I love the combination of cranberry and orange in quick reads and muffins. I am sure your bread was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite combinations too! Have saved this one! Yum!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite combinations too! Have saved this one! Yum!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum. Did you know you can freeze fresh cranberries? I always buy an extra bag at Thanksgiving and throw it in the freezer. When you are ready to use, get out what you need, rinse and use. No need to thaw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delicious! And my husband walked by as I was looking at this, and said he thought it looked delicious, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicous! Smells wonderful - even through the computer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks scrumptious! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!