Friday, April 17, 2015

Happy Sweet Sixteen, Cari!

Sixteen years ago today, my second niece, Cari, was born. I love all four of my sister's kids — three nieces and a nephew — and each one of them holds a special place in my heart. Cari was definitely the funniest of the four, and I can remember so many cute things she did as a little girl. Once, I arrived at my mom and dad's to find Cari waiting at the door for me. I said, "Hey, what're you doing?" and she looked at me as if I wasn't very bright and said, "Letting you in." My mom told me about the time Cari was 3 or 4 and got caught sneaking her mom's razor and attempting to shave her legs. Cari got in huge trouble for that, and my mother, trying to discourage this particular grandchild's early shaving habit, asked, "Now, Cari, was it worth all the trouble you got in for that?" and Cari said that yes, it sure was. That's the kind of kid she was, but I'm happy to report she has blossomed into a sweet and thoughtful young lady!

I know that many of you, like me, have enjoyed special teatimes with the young ladies in your life. This is one of my favorite photos of Cari, at right, and her big sis, Madison, at tea at my old house.

This was a tea party celebrating a past birthday, and I believe this was the year she was into "Little House on the Prairie" DVDs judging from the gift.

When "Alice in Wonderland" hit the big screen, my nieces were happy to go with me to see it. For Cari, the draw was Johnny Depp. For me, it was tea! (An early birthday gift for Cari was a surprise trip to Hollywood with her dad. She thought they were headed to Texas to see grandparents, but actually they flew to LA for several days of studio tours and sightseeing. I was not at all surprised when one of the first photos she posted on Facebook was with a Johnny Depp lookalike from "Pirates of the Caribbean.")

Oh, how I loved those years when little girls still liked to dress up!

And this is a photo from the formal tea party we had when Cari became a teenager. I am hopeful that the tea parties will never end!

8 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to Cari! I hope you will have many more fun times -and tea times- in the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How quickly the years pass . Hard to believe how grown up she is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure you have created wonderful memories for Cari; so of course she will never want to stop the tea parties with you. And Johnny Depp, I am with Cari!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Special memories to treasure. Cari is a very pretty lady! I'm sure Auntie Angela had a positive influence entertaining tea parties - such a feminine, fun, & lady like traditions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's lovely - I wish her every happiness!

    You know my sister who lives near me and I am closest to has 3 daughters and 1 son, too. And those are the girls I have shared with blogland.

    Today the middle niece had her Confirmation, and I was her sponsor. Been a very busy couple of weeks.

    Anyway, happy birthday, Cari!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cari is a beautiful young lady. Hope she had a great birthday celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to Cari! Such beautiful photos and great memories, thanks for sharing. Joanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!