Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Starting African violets in teacups

My garden club has its first meeting of the year tonight, and none too soon, because I'm ready to kick off the gardening year! Some years ago, I had great success growing and rooting African violets. When I got married and moved to a new home eight years ago, the light from my kitchen windowsill didn’t seem to make the violet leaves happy anymore, so I had no luck with rooting them, merely rotting them instead. But I’m not one to give up easily, so I kept sticking African violet leaves into a small vase of water on the windowsill.

I still have not been able to obtain that stem with roots that I used to acquire so easily once upon a time, but what I have found, to my surprise, is teeny tiny little plants that are growing underwater and attached to the stem!

Now how does a plant like this grow underwater? I don’t understand how it does this at all, but online research tells me that it is possible, so I'm hopeful that maybe these miniature plants will grow big and strong.

As you can see here, I’ve removed three of the underwater leaf groupings and plopped them in some potting soil in a pink demitasse cup. Only time will tell if they make it, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed. Do any of you grow plants in teacups? If so, what do you grow? I’m eager for garden season to get here this year, and my windowsill garden is providing a bit of amusement until that happy day arrives.

7 comments:

  1. How interesting! I don't have a green thumb where African violets are concerned, but I hope your little baby plants will grow and flourish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have the right light for African violets yet I do enjoy a healthy plant when in full bloom. Teacup plants would be cute in a fairy garden but I'd want a drainage hole in the bottom.
    I hope your little babies take root and grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love African violets - such pretty little flowers - love the ruffled edged ones with a two-tone color! Good luck with your little cluster buds....please give us an update in the spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If nothing else, you will persevere. I hope they survive.
    If so, they will be beautiful in a teacup. Though I love
    outdoors gardening, I have not been much for indoor
    gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a green thumb, so I don't attempt to grow anything except hostas and mint - both of which are practically indestructible. ;-) In times past, however, a sweet potato sprouted in water for me and turned into a nice plant, but a kindergartner could have achieved those results. I enjoy reading about all your gardening endeavors even though they're not my forte.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have a green thumb, so I don't attempt to grow anything except hostas and mint - both of which are practically indestructible. ;-) In times past, however, a sweet potato sprouted in water for me and turned into a nice plant, but a kindergartner could have achieved those results. I enjoy reading about all your gardening endeavors even though they're not my forte.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with your violets. Keep us posted on the progress.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!