Tuesday, November 25, 2014

The virtues of vanilla

It seems that vanilla, as a flavor choice, gets a bad rap sometimes. I know that when I was younger, it used to bug me to go to an ice cream shop with someone and watch them order a scoop of plain old vanilla. How insulting to Baskin Robbins and those however-many-it-was flavors to go with the very least exotic flavor in the case. But our tastes change over time, both figuratively and literally, and today I have a much greater appreciation for the virtues of vanilla. I love the scent, I love the way it flavors cookies and cakes, and yes, I even like it to flavor my tea! This week, I tried another of those samples Adagio Tea sent me recently, their vanilla tea that was part of their Nut and Spice Sampler.

It is obviously a black tea, and one Adagio describes as "Bright Ceylon tea with pure vanilla. Soothing and cozy, like warm sugar cookies made with fresh vanilla beans." "Soothing and cozy" is a great description, because this tea is warming, subtly sweet, and it certainly doesn't call for the addition of any milk or sugar. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced I've become a fan of vanilla. Are you?

12 comments:

  1. The nut and spice sampler is great. I love this post, great info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find vanilla to be homey as well..that's why I am loving the new Murchie's Christmas tea...it has a strong vanilla note with the orange and spices. Will be looking for this one!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh...forgot...Angela, have a very Happy Thanksgiving!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the flavor of vanilla. My favorite tea is Paris by Harney and Sons. It has the perfect "dash" of vanilla in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a hint of vanilla. I mixed mint chocolate black tea with vanilla cream black tea. Wonderful flavor! I typically don't even like flavored tea. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a vanilla fan. Like you, I've learned to appreciate it more as an adult. One of our mutual tea friends gave me a bottle of vanilla bean paste. I LOVE it! It has the vanilla seeds in it and is even more luxurious than the extract.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've not been a fan of vanilla, but I do enjoy this particular tea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do like that hint of vanilla, and I expect this tea would be lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes, I am a fan, though I don't usually order just plain vanilla ice cream when there are so many wonderful flavors to try. Our very fabulous ice cream shop nearby sells local food products too and I recently bought some vanilla flavoring that just smells amazing. I may even buy a bottle for my sister for Christmas just to smell, sort of like perfume. Smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I love the smell and flavor of vanilla. Vanilla everything! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love tea flavored with nuts & vanilla cominbation! Yum! My dessert in a cup!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Funny, my husband only eats vanilla ice-cream, and I always try to tempt him, but nothing works. But I also love the taste of vanilla, so I will look out for this tea. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!