Monday, November 24, 2014

Ellen Clapsaddle Thanksgiving postcards

Much as I love collecting old tea room postcards, my vintage holiday postcards are actually some of the ones I treasure most. One of my favorite Thanksgiving postcards is this Ellen Clapsaddle card featuring a turkey, the words "A Glad Thanksgiving," assorted serving pieces and a sweet little row of teacups up top.

Another Ellen Clapsaddle design features a different style of turkey, the words "Greetings for Thanksgiving Day," and a napkin along with some flowers and a teacup and saucer. I love the simplicity of this design.

My third Ellen Clapsaddle Thanksgiving postcard says "Welcome Thanksgiving." It bears the image of a pie-making lass who happens to have what looks like a Blue Willow teapot in the background. So who IS Ellen Clapsaddle? According to Wikipedia, Ellen Hattie Clapsaddle (1865-1934) was an American illustrator and commercial artist in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, and "today she is recognized as the most prolific souvenir/postcard and greeting card artist of her era." It is estimated that she created over 3,000 signed designs, which I find amazing. I love to read those Wikipedia articles in which some reader has disputed information in the article. On the Ellen Clapsaddle page, it says two of her designs were accepted by a publishing company in New York and became "an immediate success." Someone inserted a comment that says, "BALONEY--Art postcards weren't invented as a publication form in the time period referred to here." That made me smile! So whether Clapsaddle's postcards were "an immediate success" or not, I feel quite safe in saying they are some lovely pieces of artwork that collectors are still enjoying today.

10 comments:

  1. Her postcards are gorgeous. I popped over to look at the site. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those! I could see the "immediate success" thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Ellen Clapsaddle Thanksgiving postcards are pretty, and I love that they're tea-themed. I don't have any vintage postcards. I see them at antique stores/malls, but I never take the time to look through them. Thanks for the info on Ellen Clapsaddle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'll have to check my collection of Thanksgiving postcards to see if I have any Ellen Clapsaddle and if there are any teacups or teapots on them. I collect old holiday postcards and display them in a decorative picture holder each holiday. They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These postcards are adorable! Love all the teacups and teapots featured - and the turkey, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is one of my favorite designers! Her cards were fabulous!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Thanksgiving postcards are beautiful. That would be special to receive a card for Thanksgiving. Happy Thanksgiving to you Angela!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vintage holiday and birthday postcards are the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such nice illustrations Angela. I have seen and admired her work before - it's nice to have some background on the artist. Have an enjoyable holiday, Joanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!