Thursday, November 13, 2014

A taste of Thanksgiving

It's my turn to host Thanksgiving this year, and I'm so looking forward to it! A day set aside for giving thanks is such a lovely idea, and I like that the Thanksgiving hostess isn't expected to have the whole house decorated or presents under the tree just yet. For a little inspiration, I picked up a copy of the new Taste of the South magazine.

The first thing that caught my eye was this Cranberry-Pretzel Salad. Friends, how do you feel about this? Personally, I'm intrigued. I'm already planning to have homemade cranberry sauce as well as the canned stuff my family has always had, and perhaps one more cranberry item might not be too much.

I also liked this pretty spread showing the bounty of the southern Thanksgiving table. It reminded me that I got some new Thanksgiving linens the last time I hosted Thanksgiving, and I need to remember to use them this year!

Though the Cranberry-Pretzel Salad recipe doesn't appear to be available online, the magazine's website does include this recipe for Sweet Potato S'mores Bars, which I think sound yummy! The sweets are the Thanksgiving treats I like best, perhaps because we all sit around enjoying them with tea (or coffee) for a few days after Thanksgiving is over. So who are the Thanksgiving cooks among us this year? If you're the cook for your celebration, are you cooking anything new this year?

8 comments:

  1. We had the cranberry pretzel salad for Thanksgiving last year and it was delicious! I know your family will enjoy the day with you as hostess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not had the cranberry pretzel salad, but I know many who "swear by it" (as my Granny would have said). I know you will enjoy this Thanksgiving as hostess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The picture of the cranberry pretzel salad looks very similar to a raspberry pretzel salad my family makes each year. You could probably switch out the cranberries for raspberries and still enjoy this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband cooks the turkey and dressing and I do the rest. I am trying a new root vegetable recipe from Victoria magazine. I am not a veggie person, but my family is happy when I make vegetables. So this is new to me. I have heard of the cranberry pretzel recipe and heard it was quite delicious. I bet you could find the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Curiosity got the better of me; I found this recipe on Pinterest ... http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f0/8a/af/f08aaf8624bbd2184b330bce270165ad.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had strawberry pretzel salad before and enjoyed it . imagine the cranberry version would be good too. Let us know if you try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's amazing how much you can make with cranberry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When our visiting Danish Gymnastic Team was here, I asked the 2 young men staying at our house what their favorite American food had been prior to arrival at our house. The younger one quickly answered "sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top." I bet he would love sweet potato s'mores.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!