Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Matchmaker, matchmaker, make me a match ...

Friends, I may be losing my shopping superpowers. Last week I went to four antique malls and did not buy a single solitary thing. At one of the antique malls I almost made it out of the booth with a pretty blue and white teacup, but I happened to be fingering the saucer as I walked out and detected a small chip that I hadn't seen with my eyes. Back to the shelf it went. For that reason, I was very glad when I got home from a day of fruitless antiquing and found an eBay package waiting for me. It contained this saucer that matched the teacup I received from a friend a few years ago, and I'd say it's a perfect match!

This set from Paragon commemorates the 1953 coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, and appropriately enough the teacup was a gift I received at another royalty-themed event, the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton in 2011. You can see the shamrock, thistle, daffodil, and rose, all of which were featured in the lace of Kate's wedding gown. I happened to be looking at Paragon teacups on eBay when I saw this saucer and knew it was the missing mate I needed!

I love seeing all the pretty flowers ringing both the cup and saucer when you view them from above.

This is the backstamp on the teacup, and ...

This is the backstamp on the saucer. I loved reading the Daily Mail online last week to see what the Queen wore to Royal Ascot each day, so it was nice to end the week using my cup and saucer that have aged just as beautifully as she has!

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful piece! Glad you found the mate! Awesome when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is indeed a perfect match, I think you still have your superpowers! Beautiful teacup and saucer, so glad they are together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you found this piece. Of course Paragon is amazing with it's appointment to the Queen.
    Isn't it amazing how often you find pieces with chips and cracks. Last Sunday in Denver, I saw a cup and saucer for $45.00 with a crinoline lady. As I was looking at it I saw a crack inside. They were having a 50% sale but who would even buy it? I have gotten burned several times lately at these flea markets because they are often very dark. I was in Pueblo and bought a cup and saucer from 2 women. After I washed it as I was going to sell it - a hairline crack appears inside. I will never go back as now I don't trust them. My worse experience lately was a Beatrix Potter figurine I bought for resale and did not see the tail was broken off the mouse. I paid $29.00 for it. The lady that rang me up never said a word nor the man who wrapped at a big antique mall in Denver. We took it back and left it on their counter as they would not make it right. WE told them it should have been marked "as is". In this case I think they were very foolish. I buy a lot at this antique mall for resale so I am not happy. We printed out what we had purchased in the last 2 years - over $2000.00. They should have made it right with me.

    NOW I FEEL BETTER - thanks for therapy. What's my bill?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No charge at all, Bernideen! I think we've all been there ... alas. And yes, that was QUITE foolish of them not to make this right with you. Sure hope it was worth $2,000+ dollars in lost sales to them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely teacup! A treasure indeed and I'm thrilled for you that you were able to get the saucer. I love when I find the missing piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe your superpowers are just shifting? So glad you found this match! Nothing like a complete set to feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fortuitous to find the matching saucer! It's a lovely set - and so very special!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful to find a match to your cup. I love it when that happens. Sometimes it is a JOY just to browse and enjoy the sights without bringing a purchase home. I often go to the antique mall just to take pictures and enjoy the sunlight through the windows and the beauties to see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Angela,,
    So pretty. I have a coronation tea cup and saucer a friend sent me. It is plain white with gold on it.
    I posted you something yesterday,
    Enjoy.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a beautiful set. How nice to find the saucer for your commemorative cup.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautiful! Lucky girl! Love those packages on porch - aren't they fun!! Enjoy your royalTEE!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful set, Angela.
    I agree with Joy: you still have your superpowers! I love the variety of flowers on that tea cup and I think it's so neat that the shamrock is included - you don't see that too often. Enjoy that special set, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you found the saucer to complete your set.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A better love story than Twilight. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!