Saturday, May 3, 2014

Tea Room Postcard #18 -- Egyptian Tea Room (Portland, OR)

A picture is worth a thousand words, they say, and the one on this 1910 postcard certainly is. First, I love that up front we have the Royal Bakery and Confectionery Retail Branch. I find it interesting that only cookies are in the display cases. No bars? No macarons? No fudge? Ah, but check out that old-fashioned fan on the countertop. I imagine cookies are all that would have survived in there. Also note the neat rows of bread on the shelves behind the countertop. At back you get just a tiny glimpse of the Egyptian Tea Room, and there is some Egyptian looking artwork overhead. What a beautiful scene!

Now after the challenges with last week's indecipherable postcard, I was especially grateful for the good penmanship on this one! "Dear Edgar, Just came back from supper to the office. You can see on the other side what a nice place to eat. I promised to write you a long time ago. Will make good with a letter some time soon. How are you all getting along. Would like to be with you for awhile and see if I could get sunburned and fat. Let me hear from you soon Edgar." But ... who was writing to Mr. Edgar English of Greeley, Colorado? I'd sure like to know the name of this character, who surely was the world's first woman to *want* to get fat!

4 comments:

  1. I agree about the fat. Eating there it seems she could get fat. Just noticed this place is in Portland, Or. Now I am more curious than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so charmed, you find the neatest post cards, Angela!

    Maybe she doesn't WANT to get fat - just saying they would if she were there, being lazy and loung-y and all together a beach bum?

    Fun fun to glimpse through the eyes of yesteryear. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eating your way through all those varieties of cookies and breads would surely achieve that 'fat' status!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this looks like a great place! Enjoying your series, Angela.
    Joanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!