Friday, April 4, 2014

Teas for your inner hippie

These large cans of hippie-looking tea have caught my eye for quite a while now. Recently a Facebook friend wrote about how these Peace Tea drinks are some of her favorite teas, so I decided it was time for me to try them. I prayed no one would see me drinking them, as it would ruin my carefully cultivated reputation as a prude. Fortunately, I wasn't sighted by anyone but my husband ...

When I came in with this 24-ounce can of Peace Tea's Tea + Lemonade flavor, he said, "Did you get enough to drink?" Actually, this proved more than enough, especially after I realized each can was THREE SERVINGS! The 150-calories-per-can (50 calories per serving) wouldn't be just terrible, but 39 grams of sugar per can? That, I can do without. It did taste rather nice, but in a Kool-Aid-is-tasty kind of way, not like anything resembling traditional tea.

I smarted up before drinking the Razzleberry Tea. I poured it in a glass of ice to dilute the sugariness ("only" 36 grams of sugar in this flavor) and sipped this can of tea over the course of three days. Not hard to do at all, but not practical either. So there you have it. I've tasted 'em, and I'm glad I got that out of my system!

9 comments:

  1. You are brave. I can't get over how my first taste of canned "iced" tea tasted like the can. That was back before I cared how many grams of sugar it had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know...and based on your experience, I think I will skip those. I will be drinking more iced tea in the next few months but I'll make my own and put a bit of stevia in if sweetness is needed. :-) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh. Great and fun post, my sweet and dear Prude! :-D

    Next thing we'll be seeing you read The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test.

    Have a wonderful weekend. XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Linda - you are a brave and daring tea taster! ;-) Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure I would be brave enough to try them. Tea in a can just doesn't appeal to me. Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smiling! I wouldn't drink just because generally I don't drink canned or bottled teas, especially sweet. On the other hand that would not be as big of a problem for me, as I once long ago resembled a flower child.

    ReplyDelete
  7. keep the can for fun memories!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun cans, but like you mentioned, I don't like my tea sweet like Kool-Aid. Fun gift for some hippie/earthy friends if they like sugar. Enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!