Saturday, March 29, 2014

Tea Room Postcard #13 -- Tea Room, Copley Plaza Hotel (Boston, Mass.)

Earlier this week I wrote about having enjoyed tea at the Historic Boone Tavern Hotel in Berea, Kentucky. That reminded me I have previously had afternoon tea at only two other hotels, the Ritz-Carlton and the Four Seasons, both in Atlanta. This postcard shows a hotel tea from yesteryear, said by the eBay seller to be around 1910 (the postmark is unclear) at the Copley Plaza Hotel in Boston. The postcard was mailed to Mrs. Inez S. Crosby on Union Street in Camden, Maine.

What I most liked about this postcard, though, is that the sender mentions someone famous. "Dear Inez: Of course here is where I am stopping. Hope the meeting went off O.K. Went to hear Billy Sunday last night. Am going again. Going to Somerville today. With love, Mrs. Wilson."

Billy Sunday (1862-1935) is legendary in the history of American religion and was the Billy Graham of his day, from what I gather. Until I did a little research online I didn't realize he had been a ball player before he became a preacher. Although he has a reputation as an old-fashioned hellfire-and-damnation preacher (and deservedly so, based on the YouTube videos of his preaching I found online), I love this photo I found of him visiting the White House. (Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons) He must have been quite a character, and I love knowing that "Mrs. Wilson" may have stopped for afternoon tea in Boston on her way to hear Billy Sunday!

12 comments:

  1. Angela - I know you've referenced the Younkers Tea Room (Des Moines, IA) before - either a recipe or a post card. Sadly the Younkers building was destroyed by fire last night. It was under renovation to be made into apartments, retail space AND the old Tea Room was going to re-open. I had been looking forward to going back there again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This postcard series brings history alive! I love Billy Sunday's exuberance on the White House steps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard of Billy Sunday for years and never had seen a picture of him.

    Thanks, Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angela:
    Do you have any post here on the Younkers Tea Room in Des Moines - the chapter in your book has a chicken salad recipe and I would like to send my Des Moines Friends a link????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angela:
    Do you have any post here on the Younkers Tea Room in Des Moines - the chapter in your book has a chicken salad recipe and I would like to send my Des Moines Friends a link????

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've not heard of Billy Sunday but found the reference to hearing him on the post card interesting.
    Sad news that Ramona has shared about the Younkers Tea Room, bloggers can be a real news line of information.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun in Boston Mass! Love to see the fashion/attire of days gone by also! Thanks for researching and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is an interesting photo of Billy Sunday. I had not heard of him before and will have to look him up. I have had tea at the Four Seasons in Atlanta and had a wonderful time there. I miss having tea from my days of living in Georgia as well as California.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My grandmother would occasionally refer to Billy Graham as Billy Sunday, I never realized there WAS an actual Billy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun card and that picture is very annimated! I was not familiar with him, had to look him up. Love how these postcards always have a story of some kind and make history come to life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this postcard and the tearoom sounds wonderful. Great photo of Billy Sunday - neat!

    Both my parents were originally from the Boston area - mom always said Boston was so elegant and this tearoom fits the bill. Thanks so much for sharing, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the first photo of the card with a tea room full of people enjoying tea. I have heard of Billy Sunday too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!