Saturday, March 8, 2014

Tea Room Postcard #10 -- Alma's Tea Room (Manchester, N.H.)

I just love the look of Alma M. Truesdale's old tea room in Manchester, N.H., established in 1923, with its seating capacity of 250 and "open the year around." Doesn't this look like it would have been a fun place to visit?

This postcard was mailed on Oct. 3, 1950, and reads, "Arrived O.K. - Leaving 9.20 this evening for Washington DC and have to bring my old gal to Mass. Eye & Ear on Friday morning. If you are home I'll see you. May be able to have dinner with Rodie in N.Y. on the way back from D.C. Love Mother." I was about to take umbrage at the phrase "my old gal" (how sexist!) until I read "Love Mother." I will always wonder what the postcard writer thought of the tea room or whether this was simply convenient stationery to use while traveling!

6 comments:

  1. Another good one! The postage was 1 cent!!!!! I also like how they write their message "sideways". Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting message, love the tearoom. Yes, I would love to have visited it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that there's no zip code. Wish my grandparents were still alive...they might have been familiar with that particular tea room! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This tearoom looks wonderful! I would have loved to visit it. Imagine, seating for 250 and open the year around - great marketing ideas. I'm enjoying your postcard series Angela.

    Wishing you a nice weekend - we've been outside, enjoying the sun. Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love having tea here with the "old gal".

    ReplyDelete
  6. A nice stop to make - love the old car in picture too! Postcards from the past are such treasures!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!