Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Let's get ready to "tea garden," y'all!

If Georgia can't decide whether she wants it to be winter or spring, fine. I'm gardening anyway. Or at least I'm gathering my seeds and getting ready to garden! This year I'm planning to grow two especially tea-ish plants, Earl Grey Larkspur and Zinger Hibiscus Herbal Tea.

My rosy garden tote has a happy memory attached, as I got it at Marshalls when I was out shopping with my friend ParTea Lady after she and I enjoyed tea together a couple of years ago. Now, I use it to store seeds, small pots, and garden doodads during the off season.

For some kitchen herbs, I'm going to try some of these new seeds Renee's Garden so generously sent. I especially love the name of "Mrs. Burns' Lemon Basil." Are you getting ready for the garden season? If there's something tea-ish in your garden seed stash, I'd dearly love to hear about it!

9 comments:

  1. I'm looking through catalogues and registering for garden seminars - oh joy! I have to open my envelope from Renee's yet to choose my seeds for this year and I like a few you have so will add them to my order.
    Renee's is generous with sample choices with garden writers too and they're good quality seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... I just looked at the assortment of Renee's Garden seed packets that my sister sells in the shop - none of the larkspur Earl Grey. Did you know that during the Middle Ages, knights would put larkspur under their armor to help keep body vermin at bay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have mint (spearmint I think & catmint) that I add to iced teas. I'm going to try again to grow chamomile. It's my favorite evening tea but my favorite brand is Harney & sons - much too costly for every day drinking at my house. I really hope to be able to dry my own chamomile & never buy it again. I've tried 2 yrs in a row but both summers had family catastrophes so the plants were neglected & died. Hoepfully, the 3rd times a charm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had a green thumb, but I don't so I have to enjoy the gardens of other's. I did successfully grow mint last year, but that's because it's indestructible!n :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are a couple of mentions of mint already, and I would like to add this: chocolate mint. A leaf tasted alone is like a piece of Junior Mints. Float a leaf on a cup of black tea, with or without cream, and it transforms even the most ordinary tea into an extraordinary flavor. Delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't garden much but did have success with mint in a pot last year so am going to try a couple of pots this season. I will have to look for that chocolate mint, it sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with your garden. We are beginning to plan ours too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm having trouble even contemplating spring yet, much less a garden. I don't think I'll be able to have one this year, but I might be able to manage a few herbs in containers - mint would be one of them for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have gotten any seeds yet, but planning the garden. I will probably buy some plants already started, one for sure will be lemon verbena for a herbal tea.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!