Saturday, July 20, 2013

Tea Room Recipe #29 - Chickadee Cottage Tea Room (Lake City, Minn.)

So much of what I find in tea room cookbooks is a guilty pleasure that it's almost a surprise to find a tea room recipe that's not only good but also good-for-you. Such is the case with the recipe I tried this week, Chickadee Cottage's Waldorf Tuna Salad Sandwich!

Chickadee Cottage is still in business in Lake City, Minn., and you can read more about it here. I'll bet at least a few of you have even visited! Me, well, I had to visit only within the pages of this "Chickadee Cottage Cookbook II," which at 218 pages is certainly one of the biggest tea room cookbooks in my collection!

Now while I've made Waldorf Chicken Salad before, Waldorf Tuna Salad was a new one for me. I loved the idea of making this healthy salad and tucking it into a whole wheat pita pocket, so that's what I did. A quick, easy and low-fat summer supper for sure. Here's the recipe, with a few "tweaks" noted!

Waldorf Tuna Salad Sandwiches

1 can (6-1/2-ounces) white tuna in water, drained (I used two 5-ounce cans and simply upped the other ingredients a bit)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts or raisins (I used only walnuts, although I don't see why you couldn't use both walnuts and raisins if you like)
1/2 cup apple, unpeeled, chopped fine
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
4 croissants or pita breads

Toss all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl until combined well. The book notes you may add sprouts if desired. Yields 4 sandwiches. If you use low-fat mayo and pita breads instead of croissants, you can really save a lot of calories, but either way I think you'll have a new favorite salad for tea time as well as lunchtime and dinnertime!

11 comments:

  1. The name of the tea room is sweet and I like the idea of using tuna too for a change.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I do enjoy lunch at the Chickadee Cottage when we head down that way on our motorcycle. Just a few weeks ago I enjoyed tomato basil soup with a chicken salad sandwich, and a pot of tea. Very enjoyable always; flowers surround the cottage, and across the street is the widened part of the Mississippi river, which is the "lake".

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great combination! I never thought about tuna with a Waldorf salad, two of my favorites. I'll be saving this to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the name, Chickadee Cottage. The recipe does sound delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that is something I definately have to try! YUM!

    It sounds so perfect with summertime being so hot.

    Thanks, Angela!

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems like it would be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a yummy-looking recipe! It will definitely be on my list of recipes to try! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We used to have an outpost of Chickadee Cottage in Woodbury, and we spent my son's first birthday there with both sides of our family. So many good memories. If you haven't tried their wild rice soup yet, I'd really recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That certainly does sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting take on tuna salad. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks so delicious, Angela! The Cottage looks like a nice place to visit - we sometimes get to visit my husband's relatives in Minnesota, I'll have to keep this in mind. Joanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!