Saturday, June 29, 2013

Tea Room Recipe #26 - The Sheep and The Crown Tea Room (Venice, Fla.)

A cold sandwich is my go-to lunch choice in the summertime, and this week I decided to try a new spread from a unique tea room cookbook I found.

This booklet is titled "The Sheep and The Crown Tea Room: Tea & Reception Recipes," and it's by the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd in Venice, Fla., dated 1999. I imagine this is one of those churches that hosts a "tea room" for special events once a year or so, as I've heard they do this sort of thing in Charleston as well. The recipe I chose was the one for their Piquant Cheese Sandwiches, which taste very much like a sweeter version of pimiento cheese sandwiches but without the pimiento. It couldn't have been easier to make, and this is definitely a recipe I'll be making again!

Piquant Cheese Sandwiches

3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1/4 cup or less onion, finely chopped or grated
1/4 cup red pepper, finely chopped or grated
1/2 cup green pepper, finely chopped or grated
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup chili sauce

Grate cheese in a medium bowl and add other ingredients. Combine well. Makes 40-80 sandwiches, depending on the size. Note: I halved this recipe since I was only making it for me and my husband, and we ate on it for days! Also, since I was halving it I didn't want to waste buying a red pepper so I used all green pepper in my version. I thought the spread looked pretty made into ribbon sandwiches!

9 comments:

  1. Oh neat, I have never made anything like this for my teas. I love your blog recipe ideas because it helps - I daresay my tea foods have gotten a little too predicable and bland.

    I will have to make less than half though - that is one huge recipe, isn't it?

    Have you ever shared your posts over at the linky party called Foodie Friday held at Rattlebridge Farm blog? I really think you should!

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allergic to cheese, so no go for me...but love the book and your photos as always! Keep creating and sharing!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have printed it out for my collection! Thanks - yours lovely lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those sandwiches look delicious - thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sandwiches look so good and the booklet is really neat. If I remember my Florida geography, Venice is on the West coast, near Sarasota? It's been awhile since I've been there but, when we lived in Florida, we were regular visitors to Tampa, St. Pete, Sarasota...great memories of Florida's West coast! Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally different than anything I've ever had which could be nice to get away from the usual tea sandwiches.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I keep in mind my California location, Venice is on the Western shore, near Sarasota? It's been some time since I've been there but, when we resided in California, we were frequent visitors
    Gold für WOW Kaufen
    runescape gold

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!