Thursday, June 13, 2013

"Aiken House & Gardens" by Carolyn Aiken

One of the things that's most enjoyable about reading other blogs is coming across information that you wouldn't find any other place. I've learned lots of things (about LOTS of things!) from reading Judith's blog, Lavender Cottage, and recently she mentioned a new book by her fellow Canadian, Carolyn Aiken. I knew that if Judith liked the book I would as well, so I followed her link and was just smitten with what I saw. It was self-published by this lovely woman who, when the last of her seven children left home, had more time to devote to gardening at her home on Prince Edward Island. She is obviously a dedicated gardener, and it is so inspiring to see how she has planted and decorated her gardens!

This book is what publishers these days are calling a "bookazine," a sort of book and magazine hybrid. It's the size of a magazine and printed on good, thick stock (82 pages), largely photographs, but even the small amount of text is simply charming. As you would expect of someone who lives on PEI, there are a few "Anne of Green Gables" quotes, but the eye candy is what has entertained me for several hours with this book. If you're a fan of roses and peonies and lilacs, or old lace, or pastel-hued teawares, well then, Carolyn Aiken is someone you ought to know. This book strikes me as a very personal work, almost a visual diary of her style, and I love that she has published it for others to share and enjoy. She blogs here, if you'd like to get a taste of what she has in store for readers in the book.

There's even a bit of blue and white for those who are fans of that palette. I just adore my copy of this book, and I'm patting myself on the back for reading Judith's blog regularly so I won't miss out on such things. If you think you'd like a copy as well, go here to order.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you Angela for the shout out. I know Carolyn will appreciate your recommendation of her book and I agree wholeheartedly with your descriptIon of it.
    Carolyn is a fellow tea granny (a term I am proud of) and has an excellent eye for staging vignettes inside her home and sprawling gardens.
    Off to the first of our summer theatre productions today to see Oliver.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, Angela, does that mean you haven't been enjoying Carolyn's blog all this time? You have missed out on the most beautiful pictures of her home and gardens that I have ever seen. I am sure you have it in your line up now.
    You just "talked" me into ordering the book.
    Thanks, Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Carolyn's blog and became a follower awhile back. She told her blog readers about her book, but as yet I haven't ordered a copy. It's on my "to do" list. The photos she posts are always breath-taking, and they frequently resurface on Pinterest. If I ever travel to Prince Edward Island [and I hope to!] her gardens are on my list of places to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Angela, this book looks beautiful! When I saw the first photo, "eye candy" popped into my head, then I read your comments, including "eye candy!" I so agree and Prince Edwards Island is a place I'd love to visit, someday. I am going to check out this book, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been enamored by her blog for quite a long time. I think her blog is the one that inspired me to start collecting transfer ware. Her photographs are just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is a master at style, gardening and photography and everything! I sure we all have been influenced by her style!

    ReplyDelete