Monday, April 1, 2013

A fun fern find

One of the fun things about collecting teawares is the search for Just The Right Piece that represents a special hobby or collecting passion. I suppose that might be a problem if you collected, say, spark plugs, but any tea lover passionate about a particular plant or flower is likely going to be in luck. For me, that means I was on a quest last year to find a vintage teacup with a fern on it. Spring and summer turned up zilch, but while out Christmas shopping at a local antique mall one day, I came across this fun fern find.

This cup and saucer set appears to be pretty old, and the backstamp features the word Germany in the letter "S" with a crown on top. I'll have to research that one day when I have more time!

For now, I was just happy to get to use my new teacup, because I made a deal with myself at Christmas that I would not use or write about this fern teacup until spring arrived. It just seemed the right thing to do, and so of course when I test drove (test sipped?) my new teacup, I had to go outside and see if any ferns were popping up. And I was so happy to see this Japanese Painted Fern doing well!

The design and structure of ferns is just so pretty to me. I love to see the dips and curls and whirls.

I've heard fiddleheads can be eaten on salads, but I need to study the safety of that first before I tuck into a plateful. I also think the plants at this stage look like little space aliens.

And finally, this variety whose name I have completely forgotten is a rather fat fern that grows wild along the banks of the creek behind my house. I tried to transplant some last year but a) they didn't survive and b) I almost didn't either after the bugs and poison ivy got to me. Know how I think I'll enjoy my ferns this year? On a pretty teacup full of tea!

16 comments:

  1. If I had seen it, I would have bought this cup and saucer too - it's stunning.
    I'm not sure about your area, but up here in Nova Scotia, fiddleheads are safe to eat and this is the time of year that they're harvested - as far as greens go, they're delicious! But check before you try in your area - it could be an entirely different type and not safe to eat. If they are safe, you simply clean and steam them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely delicate fern pattern, so pretty! Our grocery store carries fiddlehead ferns in the spring, and one year I purchased them and sauteed them for dinner... just imagine the looks of disbelief from the younger ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty desing on the teacup.
    I too love ferns...I have a fern rubber stamp and use it a lot.
    As to the fiddleheads, I have been intrigued by them but no store around here carries them and I don't live near "fern" places. I've heard they are good - a short lived delicacy. Enjoy your new cup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful teacup. Perfect for spring. I have seen fiddleheads while walking, but am not sure which ones are safe to eat. I have tried them at a restaurant, and they were delicious, reminded me of a cross between asparagus and green beans?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did well to find a teacup with ferns, and it's pretty. I have several varieties of Japanese painted ferns and like to pair them with other plants that have the wine colour in them too.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful cup and saucer! Looks like spring has sprung,the ferns are doing well and the poison ivy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty one! We have a "joke" remark from "What About Bob" that we say: I need - I need - I need!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pretty and unusual cup and saucer. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ferns on a teacup are the very best. I have never seen one with ferns and it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this teacup - I've never seen it before but I'd love to find one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your fern teacup is beautiful. I seem to remember my father-in-law cooking fiddleheads at the cottage years ago. They were quite tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty photos today, Angela - those ferns do have an alien look. Love the design on the teacup. Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely soft spring green fern teacup! Aren't the fiddleheads beautiful?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I stumbled upon this site during my research into a piece I found the other night while going through the trash of an estate find. You are the only image I could find with this specific maker's mark! Have you folks had any luck figuring out who made this?

    Maybe you'd like a couple dessert plates to go along with your cup and saucer? :)
    Crown over S

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!