Monday, February 4, 2013

The weekend's tea finds

Over the weekend I went shopping with my mother and aunt, and as you can see here it was a fruitful "tea" day. The teapot and teacup are full-size, and I have them in the photo so you can see that this old tea tin I found at an antique mall is simply huge!

This is by no means my usual delicate little piece of bone china or silver, but the Daisee Tee Balls tin is just so huge, I had to have it! It's 11-1/2 inches tall, 7-3/4 inches in diameter, and I've already thought of quite a few ways I may use it: umbrella stand, craft room trash can, floral container, plant stand. I wish the lid had been with it, but since it's not I'll just be creative!

I was intrigued that the side panel reveals the tin contained 600 "fancy tea balls" which would each make from 1-4 cups of Fancy Orange Pekoe. So, this tin could have potentially prepared 2,400 cups of tea. Guess one tin a year ought to do you, eh? Actually, this tin also is marked "The Herman Co., Wholesale Grocers, Paterson, New Jersey," so I would assume they supplied restaurants or other large-scale users of tea.

Although I didn't find any teapots in the stores, my mom gave me an early Valentine's gift, this "Pink Love" teapot. And I do love it!

She also had found me a new teacup, this one marked Enesco Japan and "October-Cosmos." One of those flowers-of-the-month series? I may have to look for the other 11 cup and saucer sets!

14 comments:

  1. The tin is a fun find. You must be right about supplying a restaurant. I think it's amusing that they call them tea balls instead of bags. I wonder what they looked like.
    Love your new teapot. Your mama is good to you.
    Ruthie from: http://www.ladybstimefortea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tea balls are a new one to me and I hope you find a good use for the tin. Your new hearts teapot is nice as is the teacup, you have a thoughtful mother.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tin is huge! Great idea to put umbrellas in it.

    Love your sweet hearts teapot and the cosmos teacup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just turned to my husband and said "Angela has my teapot". This is "Lucy's Love" and they produced it about 4-5 years ago - isn't it fun! Unless multiple companies imported this (?) It's from Coastline Imports but they now put Gracie Bone China on the bottom.

    Love your treasures - we use the expression tea balls too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angela:
    I'm wondering if the tin held flowering teas which are like round balls. (forget what I said before as I needed to look at it again) Also...I have a large tin with french on it like this and I use it (lid off) for my kitchen utensils where I can grab them quickly by the stove!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an unusual tin? Perfect for some tea decor! LOVE the heart teapot, and I think I spied it on Bernideen's blog a couple of days ago, too. I have the May teacup in the series of flower ones, a friend at church gave it to me after hearing me say I like lily of the valley. It doesn't have the maker's name, but it is the same shape and iridescent finish as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you spent a fun Saturday with your mom and aunt. Your mom is the equivalent of Linda's friend, Mary [Friendship Tea blog]. Both are always finding great tea treasures to pass along.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great finds, and great fun with family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Several years ago I found the June cup and gave it to my friend Judy for her birthday. The June cup had roses. I just loved the finish .

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's a January one on eBay but it ends very soon. Funny to notice it today after reading your blog. http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-JAPAN-NORLEANS-IRIDESCENT-BONE-CHINA-TEACUP-SAUCER-JANUARY-CARNATION-/380567437238?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589b963fb6

    ReplyDelete
  11. You may think this is strange, but my favorite thing there is the tin. What a fun find. Can't wait to hear what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great treasures, Angela! It sounds like you, your Mom and your Aunt had a wonderful time. That teacup is so pretty, I love the curvy handle and the base of the teacup. Your Mom has a great eye for treasures, just like you! Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  13. The tin is awesome. Let us know what you decide to do with it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!