Wednesday, November 7, 2012

"The Afternoon Tea Collection"

In my day job I often get press releases and catalogs from book publishers, so I regularly scan them to see if any new tea-related titles are coming out. I also troll Amazon regularly to look for upcoming tea books, and I place them on my Wish List so I'll know when they're released. So I am rarely surprised by the discovery of a new tea book I've never heard of, but indeed that happened when I made a quick trip to Barnes and Noble earlier this week for a decorating magazine. After finding it, I scanned the bargain books up front and my eyes fell upon this lovely new tea book for just $7.98. "The Afternoon Tea Collection" from Metro Books is a 2012 release, but it doesn't come up on Amazon. Perhaps it was published exclusively for B&N? At any rate, isn't that cover pretty!

Inside, chapters focus on The Teatime Experience, Sandwiches, Scones, Friands, Little Tarts, Little Cakes, Big Cakes, Biscuits and Slices. Here's the intro to the chapter on Scones.

The photography in this book is exceptionally well-done (is it just me or is food photography simply getting better?), and the book includes lots of tempting recipes: Marinated Cucumber Sandwiches, Prawn and Lime Pepper Aioli Sandwiches, Date Scones with Whipped Caramel Butter, Rich Hazelnut Slice, and a darling little cookie I want to make just because of the name, Melting Moments. The pretty "slice" shown here, what I would call a "bar cookie," is Macadamia Caramel Slice.

These coconut and raspberry jam cookies are called Monte Carlos, and I absolutely love the idea of serving them in pretty stemware like this! Also in the book are several recipes for friands, those dainty little cakes you make in the small, fancy-shaped tart pans many of us like to collect. It was refreshing to see so many new recipes and ideas in a tea book, and I'm glad for the accidental discovery of this charming new title!

12 comments:

  1. What a lovely book and yes, I do think food photography is getting better (thank God!) Love the genteel atmosphere the book conveys and like the twist on the classic fingerfood sandwiches. Too bad that Amazon won't carry the book :(

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover and inside photos you've shared are appealing, good find.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is indeed a great find, I would have snatched it up, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I picked up this beautiful book last month at Barnes and Noble. Can't wait to try some of the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That book looks lovely -- thanks for sharing it!

    On a trip to England, I took a photo of a sign for baked goodies that mentioned Melting Moments. I was on a strict diet and managed to resist though. I'll have to look for this book next time I'm at B&N and check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely book! You're absolutely right. The photography in here is so nice!
    I just love food pictures anyway. I really, really do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another tea book for tea lovers to enjoy. I'll have to see if my Barnes & Noble has it. You can't go wrong for the price! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Angela for the "heads up". I got lucky and found the book at my B&N on the way home this evening. What a lovely book and the photos are amazing. What a fabulous bargain for $7.98 plus another 10% off if you are a Barnes & Noble member.
    Margie in CA

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always look at the photography in a magazine or a book and this is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These photos are beautiful Angela - I agree with you, food photos are looking better and better! Joanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!