Monday, November 5, 2012

Let's talk turkey!

If I hadn't had to run by the Walmart in Bremen for some birthday gift toys on Saturday morning, and if they hadn't parked the marked-down Thanksgiving goodies right there at the entrance, I'd certainly never have taken the time to look for them. But there they were, and since I get to host Thanksgiving dinner this year, I got some nice new goodies I thought you might like to know about. First, this 13-inch turkey platter from the Better Homes and Gardens collection caught my eye. Its original price of $12.96 wasn't bad at all, but $10 was even better!

And I had been looking for chargers to go with my English ironstone turkey plates, but I just wasn't thrilled with plain gold ones or blah brown ones. These Antique Copper Finish chargers were just $2 apiece, and I had a feeling they would be perfect.

And indeed they are.

When my husband saw one of these unadorned, he even commented on how nicely these would blend with other autumn plates, and I agree. I can see pretty amber glass plates, or even clear glass plates, used with these chargers at a fall tea. I love the leaf detail.

Walmart also had the accessories marked down, and again, they look very much like some vintage turkey wares I've seen. A little newer and shinier, perhaps, but still a nice, traditional look. Just $4 for the napkin holder and $2 for the salt and pepper shakers. Can you beat that?

And these were *not* Walmart purchases, but I thought you might like to see them anyway since they, too, will be on my Thanksgiving table. I found this turkey handled spreader at one Atlanta gift shop (Boxwoods) and the matching bowl at another (Paper Affair).

I love the glass accents on this spreader. These pieces are by Mud Pie, a name you may have come across before. I believe I've had some teawares from them in the past.

And last but not least, I have gotten on a monogram kick and decided I want some pretty new napkins with my initial on them. These came from Boxwoods, and it was precisely the look I wanted. So what about all of you? Who is hosting your Thanksgiving meal this year, and what will be on your table? (Or are you like my husband, who keeps chanting "Chi-net, Chi-net!" but he knows better!)

11 comments:

  1. Those Thanksgiving accessories are very nice. I don't often shop Walmart for household decorations.
    Sometimes they do surprise me. I would have bought all these goodies as well. Great bargains! I especially love the chargers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your turkey collection - can't wait to see photos of the celebration! My favorites, the charger with the assorted leaves and acorns and the spreader with the glass beads. What fun finds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely Thanksgiving table you'll set, Angela. Love everything... the chargers, monogramed napkins, turkey napkin rings and spreaders. I'm cooking Thanksgiving dinner and transporting it to my son's house, where all the family will gather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Angela
    You picked up some nice things for your thanksgiving celebration, your table will be awesome.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it all ! I need to head to my walmart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How pretty! Love the chargers especially! I'm hosting Thanksgiving dinner for my family and some friends again this year. Last year I set two tables! Thanks for the reminder that I need to start planning NOW. I know your table will be beautiful and I look forward to seeing pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are wonderful Thanksgiving decor!!! Love, love, love them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like Thanksgiving will be a lovely affair at your house!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am European so this does not really apply but I just wanted to wish you a very happy Thanksgiving! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are great finds for your Thanksgiving table - it will be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!