Monday, October 1, 2012

A fruitful shopping trip

Over the weekend, my mom and I hit multiple HomeGoods, T.J. Maxx and Marshalls stores in the Marietta area. After a bit of a shopping drought in recent months, I was pleased that I actually found some treasures this time.

First, this plastic tray from HomeGoods will actually fulfill a need. Last week, as I was packing up glassware to use for serving my refreshments at the garden club meeting, I pondered the fact that I have very few trays, plates and platters that aren't china or glass. Sure, I like the fancy stuff best, but there are times when you *need* a little plastic in life. When I saw this nice-sized (13 x 17-1/2-inch) plastic tray for $7.99, I knew it was going home with me.

What I actually fretted over was this $3.99 ceramic teapot sachet holder from T.J. Maxx. I don't have much room for cutesy doodads anymore, even pleasantly-scented White Tea & Bamboo ones, but ... something about this spoke to me. It said, "I want to be in the garden next spring." How, I do not know. But I do know I've had far more regrets about the tea things I let slip away than the things I've brought home, so I got the teapot. I'll enjoy the fragrance now, and I've got a few months to figure out whether or not a plant could indeed sprout up through the holes in the teapot!

My biggest shopping success, though, was in nabbing six of these $4.99 dinner plates from HomeGoods. After deciding two years ago to begin acquiring the Johnson Brothers His Majesty dishes for Thanksgiving, would you believe they have discontinued the pattern? I went online and found I can still pretty easily order a plate or two at a time on eBay, but with the shipping costs that's far more expensive than my original plates were. So, necessity being the mother of invention, I have decided I will simply mix-and-match brown turkey plates. And I must say, when I got home with these new Royal Stafford plates from England, I found I actually like them better than the His Majesty plates.

I think it's the soft coloring of the fruits and flowers of the border that make me like these best. I can see fall-toned napkins and amber colored glassware tying both designs together quite nicely, can't you?

And finally, my mom is always thinking about my Christmastime collection of Santa Claus mugs, and her thrift store visits have resulted in three new ones. Not a bad haul for a single Saturday!


9 comments:

  1. It sounds like you and your mother had a fun day! Your tray is gorgeous! It is hard to believe it is plastic. Your turkey plates are beautiful! I love Home Goods stores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did great! I love the turkey plates. The fruit really adds something to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good finds, the turkey plates will really dress the table for thanksgiving.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such wonderful shopping adventures you and your mom have. Love the turkey plates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great finds! The turkey plates are perfect, and I really like that tea tray, too. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great treasures, Angela!!

    As as for the little whiteteapot- how about air fern? It doesn't require soil at all and would look great year around.

    I love your mom and you shop together. I lost my mom almost 20 years ago, and would LOVE to shop with her. That's your best treasure of the day, imho.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was really nice images for kitchen products and more. You can sharing a really nice information and they really helping for shopping. Thanks for sharing a nice tips about shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great finds, Angela! Love the tray and the Royal Stafford plates are really pretty. I agree with you about the fruits and flowers on the border of the Royal Stafford plates - so pretty! Your Thanksgiving table is going to be beautiful. Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a fun weekend. Sorry your chosen dishes were discontinued, but I like your idea of mixing and matching. That makes it all the more fun to find new pieces.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!