Tuesday, November 1, 2011

My Wide-Brimmed Teacup

On the way home from the mountains, we stopped by a few antique malls in Dillard, Ga., where I came across what I am now calling my Wide-Brimmed Teacup. The flared shape of the teacup is what caught my attention, and the pink roses, of course!

I thought I'd seen just about every shape of teacup imaginable, but I was intrigued by this one's shape, which seemed sort of like a cup-shaped flower curling outward. When it's upside down, you really notice how flared this is.

I also like the pretty handle. And the price was right ($14, which was definitely one of the cheapest sets I came across).

You know what did not occur to me until I prepared my first cup of tea in this? There is a very good reason the walls of a teacup should be straight. It's because when you walk with a flared cup of tea in your hands, you will slosh said tea and threaten to send it flying into the air! Fortunately, I quickly realized my mistake, poured out a little of the tea (a pity), and realized I can't fill this teacup all the way if I intend to walk very far with it! I'm getting around the hazard, and I'd probably have bought this teacup anyway because it's so pretty (and I like tea-related trip souvenirs), but I did want to report on this danger I had not foreseen!

I think I'll go have another sip from my new (if slightly underfilled) teacup!

10 comments:

  1. So pretty, but it would not have occurred to me either about the sloshing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wide brimmed teacup is beautiful and well worth the sloshing problem. I've never seen that unusual shape before either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tea time is a time to sit and enjoy the roses. The wide brim should be no problem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, I've never seen a teacup in that shape before! I'll remember this post if I ever have the pleasure of drinking from one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - I've never seen this either! It's definitely a conversation starter. I think it's pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty cup. This shape is new to me too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty Angela, I'd be worried about tea dribbling since the brim is so wide.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is quite beautiful! Again something I have never seen...lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This teacup is pretty and very unique!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's more like a bowl than a cup. I've never seen this shape before either.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!