Saturday, September 10, 2011

Tea Sandwich Saturday #37 - Parmesan-Walnut Butter

It was just a thought: could I use up some leftover Parmesan cheese by incorporating it into a flavored butter that could be used for tea sandwiches? The answer is yes!

One reason I wanted to experiment is that I also had some Pepperidge Farm Very Thin 100% Whole Wheat Bread I needed to use up, and it was *so* thin it had occurred to me this would be a great bread to use in a stacked sandwich. The small slices worked beautifully. I spread a slice with the flavored butter, topped it with another slice, more butter, then the final slice before cutting off the crusts and cutting the sandwich into rectangular fingers.

And you know, I've never had tea sandwiches cut into small squares, but why not? I liked the way these look, and I'm always searching for ways to liven up a tray of sandwiches. If you like these flavors as much as I do, you may want to give these a try!

Parmesan-Walnut Butter

1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Combine all ingredients in food processor and pulse until well combined. This smallish recipe was just enough for snacks for my husband and me (he liked them too, by the way), just about four sandwich fingers. So I would double, triple or quadruple this depending on your tea sandwich needs. Tasty, easy, pretty. (And may I just say I do love that Pepperidge Farm Very Thin Bread!)

7 comments:

  1. I am always looking for tea sandwich recipes which don't have cream cheese as a base. There are so many cream cheese tea sandwich recipes out there. This would be a nice change. Question: Did you use salted or unsalted butter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't ever seem to find that bread, I keep looking. It does look like it works well in a stack. Fascinating sandwich idea. I don't usually like walnuts in tea food, but I had a maple walnut scone today and it helped me start changing my mind. It was quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Angela, this recipe sounds great! I also love Pepperidge Farm breads - and their cookies too! Thanks for sharing, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda, I used *unsalted* butter. I'll go back and note that in the recipe, so thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this sounds fantastic!! Perfect for fall...I really look forward to these posts..can you tell I am catching up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks tasty! and I love the layered effect! I find that the thin Pepperidge Farm bread is the best when using cookie cutters. It really helps keep the shape of the cutter.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!