Saturday, May 28, 2011

Tea Sandwich Saturday #22 - Swiss Cheese & Bacon

Each week when it's time to choose a tea sandwich recipe, I ask myself, "Self, what are you really in the mood for this week?" This time I was craving something pimiento cheese-like, but I didn't want to make the same old pimiento cheese. So I began looking online for recipe inspiration, and soon I decided that since others had successfully made sandwich spreads with Swiss cheese, I would experiment with that cheese too!

I'm learning that some of my favorite recipes are really the easiest, simplest ones to make. Now why is that? Wouldn't you just naturally think the dishes you slave over would be the most delicious? But no, that's just not so. I really like this new Swiss cheese spread, and perhaps some of you will too.

Swiss Cheese & Bacon Spread

2-1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese (I used two 5-ounce bags of Sargento's Swiss/Gruyere blend)
3/4 cup sour cream (I used fat-free)
4 tablespoons prepackaged bacon bits
3 tablespoons chopped pimientos, drained of oil
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon white pepper (I didn't want black pepper spotting up the cheese)

Mix all ingredients and stir just 'til blended well. Yields about 2-1/2 cups of spread. I used mine on plain whole wheat bread and was quite pleased with the combination.

Decorative note: On two of these sandwiches, I lightly dipped the short end of the triangle in the sour cream and then in the bacon bits. This adds a pretty finishing touch but keeps the sandwich tidy to handle!

8 comments:

  1. Your swiss cheese and bacon sandwiches look delicious - the crumbled bacon garnish is a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela I just love your blog. I collect tea sandwich recipes....this is great

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, this one could coax me away from the vegetarianism...temporarily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting twist on pimento cheese. I'm adding swiss to the grocery list now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angela, these look delicious!
    You are so creative, I am going to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting sounding recipe. I really must try this sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!