Friends, I greet this Monday as a happy woman, for my summer of deadlines ended on Friday, and I do not have another magazine deadline until October! (I started to say I feel like Mel Gibson when he shouts "Freedommmmmm!" at the end of the movie "Braveheart," but Mel Gibson analogies don't play so well anymore, do they?) At any rate, my mind is now free to think about things besides work -- like creative writing projects, catching up with friends, CRAFTING -- and so on Saturday I spent a few hours *finally* completing a half-finished project, this teapot potholder I made with leftover bits of yarn and felt.
I found the pattern about two years ago in this 1945 J.&P. Coats booklet, No. 222, cleverly titled "Pot Holders." (I wish instruction booklets still sold for 10 cents!)
Here is a close-up of the teapot pot holder from inside the booklet, and the instructions say it was made in blue and ecru crochet thread. Now I have been crocheting since I was an 8-year-old, but I must say that I found the construction of this piece to be quite a challenge. For one thing, the designer created it in teeny tiny single crochet when it seems to me double crochet would have worked just fine. And each blessed piece of this thing had to be crocheted separately! The knob. The lid. The rim. The spout. The handle. Perhaps crocheters in 1945 were much more adept at the finishing details on a crochet project (which I don't doubt, frankly), but I really had to guess how to finish this pot holder. The instructions never tell you, for instance, how to attach the handle, so I just made it look like the picture but it would have been nice to have had a little guidance!
Once all the pieces were crocheted, I did enjoy sewing on the felt cherries with the little folk-art looking stitches as shown in the book.
Now if I were truly going to use this as a potholder, I would have included batting and a thicker backing material. But after all this work, this pot holder will be going nowhere near the olive oil or tomato sauce I'm likely to sling around, so instead I just backed it (somewhat sloppily, I'll admit) with a super thick piece of pink felt. I'll use this purely for decoration, or as a tea trivet, perhaps.
At any rate, I'm happy to have another unfinished project move off my to-do list. Next!