Saturday, December 26, 2009

Tea Tasting Saturdays #56, 57 & 58 - Puerhs

If I didn't already have another 52-week tea project in mind, I would probably be a bit sad about writing today's post! I simply cannot believe it has been a year since I began this tea-tasting project inspired by the 58 teas in "The Harney & Sons Guide to Tea" by Michael Harney. It was more enjoyable and enlightening than I had imagined, and I was pleasantly surprised I was able to find every tea or a reasonable substitute.

What have I learned? That I really love tea! That I am more fond of "pure teas," especially greens, than I knew! That tea is a fascinating subject as well as a delicious, healthful and calming beverage! And I learned that the tea vendors I've purchased from (in the U.S. and one from China) have all given exceptional customer service. I can think of no other category of shopping in which I have experienced absolutely flawless service, but the tea companies all treated me well. (Their shipping rates remain one of the best bargains around.) Finally, I've learned that "The Harney & Sons Guide to Tea" is simply a phenomenal guidebook which no tea lover should be without.

After this year of tea tasting, I don't by any means feel like a tea connoisseur (I don't think my palate will ever be that finely-tuned) but rather like someone who has dipped her little toe about six inches into the ocean and realizes there's quite a bit more to be explored. So without further ado, it's time to wind this up and claim my Tea 101 Certificate of Completion!

Category: Puerhs

Purveyors: (From left in photo above) Ban-Zhang/The Tao of Tea; Loose-Leafed Black Puerh/Harney & Sons; Tuo Cha/TeaGschwendner



Dry leaf appearance: The Ban-Zhang was thin and wispy; the black puerh had shorter, much more uniform leaves; and the Tuo Cha (slightly bigger in diameter than a quarter) looked like a miniature bird's nest!

Wet leaf appearance: How about I let the pictures do the talking?




Steeping temperature and time: 1 teaspoon of tea, 212 degrees, 2 minutes.

Scent: For the most part, the three teas' dry scents were very similar to the steeped scents. The Ban-Zhang smelled a little like that Creomulsion cough syrup scent I associate with Lapsang Souchong, which had me worried. The black puerh suddenly took me back to an oyster bar on Pensacola Beach because of its fishy scent! (Steeped, this one's scent developed into a "fish in dirt" scent.) The Tuo-Cha smelled very much like the potting soil I used to repot my Christmas cactus a few days ago.

Color: The Ban-Zhang was light golden yellow, the black puerh and the Tuo Cha a deep coppery brown.

Flavor: Despite some questionable scents on the front end, all three of these teas produced perfectly drinkable brews! The Ban-Zhang was the lightest and had a lovely buttery quality. The black puerh was definitely stronger and had a little of an earthy taste, but I liked it and wasn't even thinking about fish or dirt! The Tuo Cha was also earthy tasting but quite enjoyable.

Additional notes: "Puerhs are prized throughout China as slimming teas," Harney says, and some claim they reduce cholesterol and blood pressure. So ... slimming teas? Well that's enough for me, how 'bout you? (Just kidding. Sort of.) Puerhs are teas that are aged anywhere from 2-50 years and are, as Harney puts it, "an acquired taste." He notes the teas "get their unusual qualities from fermentation, a process no other tea endures." I have tried puerhs before and knew I liked the earthy taste of them. Harney notes the teas have become so popular in Asia that investors now speculate in them, which could be one reason I found an online vendor selling a particular aged cake of Tuo Cha for $138! The book also gives advice for aging your own puerhs.

A special thank you to those of you who have been kind enough to encourage me along the way and therefore insure that I would complete these tea tastings this year!

9 comments:

  1. I have this book also. I thank you for hosting these sessions every Saturday. I didn't comment about it, but I was/am curious about each tea. So, thanks for your dedication Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Thanks for the tastings and posts througout the year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Soooo what is your next endeavor?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the year of tea! Hope you have a wonderful New Year!
    ~Blessings~
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a thorough and interesting tasting review of the Puerhs. Maybe I'll actually get past the smell and be able to taste one of these teas. ;-) Great photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing these reviews each weekend of the past year. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your thoughts. I'm excited to see what you have in store for 2010.
    As for the Puerhs, I'm with ParTea Lady, I haven't gotten past the smell yet. I've actually only had an opportunity to taste them once many many years ago and I passed. At that time I wasn't into tea (I know the horrors, LOL). Now I wish I had at least tasted it. One day, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done, and I admire your dedication to this project! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know it is another year and you have gone on to other things. You really did not say if you liked these. I did a bit of research, and figured the nesty ones I would not even attempt. I purchased a gift set from Samovar, which has some teas I really like and this is not my first order from them. In the set is a Blood Orange Pureh. I followed the directions and immediately poured off covering water and the filled to steep. For the first time I smelled that fishy smell you described from time to time all year long. (I feel about that smaell much, I guess as you do Creomulsion) Anyway, I understand why they added organe orange peel, or whatever. I don't like the stuff. Do you? Do I need to develop a taste for this stuff? Perhaps I am lacking ability to like illustrious teas. Regardless, I have been in Texas since November, and when I return, if you want it (I have slightly less than 4 ounces) let me know and I will see that it makes the return trip. PS...hope everynow and then throughout the year on regular days you will still have a tea testing with the old format -- I miss them.
    PS...Happy New Year 2010 to you and your family
    Since this is so long, please just delete out later {]; D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Angela, Sorry I am late. Great job!

    I think a certificate is due,

    I will organize it.

    Best Regards,

    Mike Harney

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!