Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A Craf-tea Christmas, Day Three - Filet Crochet Teapot


No wonder so many crafters glean inspiration from vintage pieces. That's exactly what I was doing a few weeks ago when I was browsing eBay not to buy anything but simply to look at pretty vintage linens. I came across a set of vintage napkins one seller was offering, but I liked only two of them, the ones with corners featuring a teapot and teacup in filet crochet. I printed out the photo from the seller's listing, made a chart using free graph paper from the internet, and then I filet crocheted this piece!

Here's the chart I quickly sketched. Now I am not a professional crocheter or pattern writer, but hopefully this will give a nice headstart to anyone wanting to try this: Using a size 17 (tiny!) steel crochet hook and size 30 ecru thread, chain 53. Double crochet in 8th chain from hook (making first open block), skip two chains, double crochet in next stitch, and repeat to end of row (16 open blocks made). Chain five to move to next row, then follow pattern throughout. A "closed" block consists of four double crochet stitches. (It must be said these are horrible directions for anyone who is not already fairly proficient in crochet, but oh well ... I'm just trying to share what little I know!)

When I was finished, I added a border of three single crochet stitches in each square around (six in the corners). Then, I starched the piece and added a small ribbon hanger, making this ready for the tree or as a package tie-on. If made with thicker thread, these would be good for coasters. And one of these days, I am going to plan ahead and make something like this to include with all my Christmas cards. Maybe next year!

6 comments:

  1. That is a very pretty crochet ornament. That's great that you can create your own pattern. I like your idea for using thicker thread and making these into coasters or tea mug mats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun idea, now if I only crochet. But alas, no time for more projects this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so pretty You obviously have more patience than I ... and also you know how to crochet ... something I admire but don't do.
    I love seeing the beauty created this time of year!!! ~ Violet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's beautiful. I'm impressed that you made it and that you made the pattern. I have no idea how to crochet but seeing your pattern makes me wish I did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty! My Aunt Mary tried to teach me to chochet years ago, but I just couldn't get it. Perhaps if I'd known I could make tea things crocheting I might have been more interested in learning. *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, that is just cool! I could never do that! I have trouble just reading patterns at all!

    By the way, I saw some tatting booklets and tools in Michaels! Guess it's making a comeback!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!